Bite/Pressure training

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Seeing a lot of references to this in many threads on here. Any links/vids/books that discuss this in detail and how to do this? Also, at what age should this be started?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Early as possible, but can be done at any age. Just be consistent.. everyone who handles the bird must be doing the exact same thing when nibbles turn hard.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I started pressure training with sissy almost right away.it works. We snap our fingers and say NO BITE! I have a bunch of bruises,,,but no puncture wounds..lol.

OP
C

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
I started pressure training with sissy almost right away.it works. We snap our fingers and say NO BITE! I have a bunch of bruises,,,but no puncture wounds..lol.

Ok, so sounds silly but I cant snap my fingers (managed to break fingers on both hands, not at the same time, last year and still dont have good strength) Would wagging a finger work? Is it the sound that distracts/redirects, the verbal cue, or both?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I will gently take Nigel's beak in my hands and say, "be nice" firmly and move around a bit to distract him. Works every time and he definitely understands when to pull back.

antman747

Jun 27, 2014
Mililani, HI
Parrots
2yo Eclectus Male "Honi"
I use the same strategy only using the word "gentle". Also I have learned to make all my touches gentle as well and he matches my energy. Touch training goes a long way to stop biting and keep it at bay. My guy won't even bite anymore. He'll push your hand away and bluff but no pressure whatsoever.

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I'm still having issues with Jasper and pinching. It hurts quite a bit and often it seems like he's doing it for no reason.

He'll want on me and as soon as he's on my hand he'll reach down and pinch me. I do the earthquake with my hand and say "no pinch". I KNOW he knows I'm not happy but he continues to do it. Sometimes it's 4 or 5 times in a row and I get frustrated and put him back on his cage.

Not sure what else to try now.

Sometimes he'll pinch, I use a firm voice saying no pinch/earthquake and he BEAK SCRAPES. What?!?!?!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Ok, so sounds silly but I cant snap my fingers (managed to break fingers on both hands, not at the same time, last year and still dont have good strength) Would wagging a finger work? Is it the sound that distracts/redirects, the verbal cue, or both?

Different people will have different cues that their birds will come to associate with the idea that they're applying too much pressure. So the ability to snap, or lack thereof, doesn't come into play. Beak pressure training is customized, personalized to each parrot/parront relationship.

What these techniques will have in common, however, is consistency. Always use the same cue. For me, it's the phrase "be nice". Same tone of voice every time, as the offending beak is gently disengaged from the flesh. Also, same consequence every time. For me, it was one warning followed by a timeout for repeated offenses. (I'd also used the wobble method with Bixby to good effect as well, but that tactic failed utterly with Maya due to her freakishly exceptional balance. It was more likely to trigger a more determined attack in her case. So I find timeouts to be a more consistently successful method.) At this point, I rarely need to give the "Nice" command, anymore. They understand the acceptable level of beak pressure.

Oh! Another helpful tactic, if your bird is being particularly aggressive rather than just overly exuberant with bite pressure, is diversion. A small, bird safe piece of wood that can be carried in your hand and interposed between the beak and your flesh at need. The distraction usually works, diverting the aggressive attention from you to the wood.

Last edited:
OP
C

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
I'm still having issues with Jasper and pinching. It hurts quite a bit and often it seems like he's doing it for no reason.

He'll want on me and as soon as he's on my hand he'll reach down and pinch me. I do the earthquake with my hand and say "no pinch". I KNOW he knows I'm not happy but he continues to do it. Sometimes it's 4 or 5 times in a row and I get frustrated and put him back on his cage.

Sometimes he'll pinch, I use a firm voice saying no pinch/earthquake and he BEAK SCRAPES. What?!?!?!

can you please explain "earthquake" and what is beak scraping--what does it signify? (and yes, I live in CA, i KNOW earthquakes, i just need to understand it in your context)

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)

can you please explain "earthquake" and what is beak scraping--what does it signify? (and yes, I live in CA, i KNOW earthquakes, i just need to understand it in your context)

Earthquake or I should say wobble technique, like Anansi mentioned. Just wobble him enough that he lets go because he's more focused on hanging on.

He beak scrapes when he's happy, so for some reason he's finding this whole process amusing I guess :rolleyes:

Most Reactions