Bite VS scratch VS playing

armanbala

Oct 10, 2016
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Hello, I have a BGM as a new family member. She is 4 month old and so sweet. She steps up on my hand and arm and I can give her treat very easily. Also she flies from my hand to her stand.
I have two problem that I need your advice. Anytime that she is on my arm, she starts to grab my hand or arm with her beak and sometimes it will be last to a light bite. She is doing the same behavior with my shirt and tries to come up. Anytime that she goes to my shoulder, she starts to scratch my back neck with her beak with a strange breathing voice. I know this is not bite but as you know the beak is sharp and hurts.
The second issue is about the shower. She hates water!! she scares even from spraying of water and she flies away. Please give me your professional advice regarding these two problems that I have. Thanks

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
lots of GREAT macaw info in the macaw sub-forum, you should read that like 3x over, also posts from birdieman66, whose is the resident macaw epert, but ther are others, too.

from what i know, macaws test their limits especially when young, its importantthat she learn the limits.

on water, try different wys of getting her wet. spray bottles work from far away, try that, as my ysa was not ken on water at first. if the spray bottle has a colored spray tip try hiding it, as some birds with flash colors are wary of things with similar colors. welcome and good luck with your lil girl.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great advise above! Also try using the search button and look for Bite Pressure Training.

Lets face it, very few Human babies like their first experiences with water /baths, Parrots are not different. Once again, great advise on the spray tips! Try misting into the air (up) and let it float down from above, much like a light rain!

And by the way, Welcome to the Parrot Forums!

Most Reactions

Latest posts