Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Alright, so most of you people know that my bird, snowii, was hormonal. she finally got turned off after laying a clutch of 8 eggs and is acting normal.. but a new and undesirable habit has devoloped- biting. she seems to bite me inbetween scritches and randomly when i reach my hand towards her. its pretty abnormal, since i handraised her, and ever since she matured, she would have her full trust in me. she wouldn't do this before this clutch that she layed. Its starting to become very irritating and sometimes the bite bleeds, I've not reacted at all but she countinues. I even said a firm 'no!' as she bit and she just goes on. what do i do?

and does this mean she hates me? has no trust in me? she still follows me around and asks for scritches as usual, energitic as always. could it be because of her nature or because she finds me annoying?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Sorry youā€™re going through this with your bird!

Something Iā€™d recommend, have you tried training her? Specifically target training.

Iā€™d say sheā€™s probably still hormonal if sheā€™s not acted like this before. A few questions:
How much sleep does she get?
Whatā€™s her diet like?

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Sorry youā€™re going through this with your bird!

Something Iā€™d recommend, have you tried training her? Specifically target training.

Iā€™d say sheā€™s probably still hormonal if sheā€™s not acted like this before. A few questions:
How much sleep does she get?
Whatā€™s her diet like?
I train her very often, she knows many tricks such as spin on command, handshake and hang from what she's perching on and im teaching her more. And you may be right, she might still be hormonal.

Her sleep - she gets about 12 hours of sleep if you estimate- She goes to sleep right after the sun sets and i close the curtains till the sun rises and the room is full of light again. but in some cases, she gets only 8 hours of sleep. does this effect behaviour? in what way if so?

Her diet consists of pellets, Seeds (only in case of training and she gets a spoon of seed every once a week.) and a fresh serve of vegetables and fruits everyday. Snowii's a big picky eater and eats only what she wishes to. so I usually gives her juice of certain fruits and veggies or i puree them into her chop.

thank you so much for helping!

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Recently, snowii has been getting only little hours of sleep and so, has not really been in the mood to train. she bites my hand if she's not in the mood, which makes me think she hates me. but next thing you know she flies towards me wherever i go, asking for scritches. its so complicated!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I train her very often, she knows many tricks such as spin on command, handshake and hang from what she's perching on and im teaching her more. And you may be right, she might still be hormonal.

Her sleep - she gets about 12 hours of sleep if you estimate- She goes to sleep right after the sun sets and i close the curtains till the sun rises and the room is full of light again. but in some cases, she gets only 8 hours of sleep. does this effect behaviour? in what way if so?

Her diet consists of pellets, Seeds (only in case of training and she gets a spoon of seed every once a week.) and a fresh serve of vegetables and fruits everyday. Snowii's a big picky eater and eats only what she wishes to. so I usually gives her juice of certain fruits and veggies or i puree them into her chop.

thank you so much for helping!
Thatā€™s excellent that you train her often, definitely keep doing it, it keeps her mind stimulated.

Iā€™d say 8 hours of sleep is probably okay, maybe try to aim for 9 or 10 if you can.
Her diet sounds good. What pellet does she eat? A lot of pellets are higher in soy and stuff and that can be a hormonal trigger for some birds.

How long has she been behaving this way?

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Thatā€™s excellent that you train her often, definitely keep doing it, it keeps her mind stimulated.

Iā€™d say 8 hours of sleep is probably okay, maybe try to aim for 9 or 10 if you can.
Her diet sounds good. What pellet does she eat? A lot of pellets are higher in soy and stuff and that can be a hormonal trigger for some birds.

How long has she been behaving this way?
She eats Roudybush pellets usually, currently she's eating ' maintainance ' and has been ever since she reached the stage to start eating after i handfed her.

She started this about a week ago, when she stopped incubating her eggs.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:

• Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.

Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:

• Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.

Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!
This biting usually occurs when she climbs around my body vigoriously and proceeds to bite my arm ^^'
alright I've tried this method some times in the past, after getting to know about it as i read other threads here on the forums. I have some problems.

1. You have to keep the bird on a chair right? I have trouble taking her off my body- she may perch on my hand and such, but getting her to sit on the surface is a huge task- she either climbs up my arm in dismay or just stubbornly stays on my hand, and I don't really force her.

2. while i turn my back and look away as i ignore her, she proceeds to get back onto my body and i just stay still with no eye contact. would this take effect? if not, what do i do?

Most Reactions

Latest posts