Biting 3 month old

peachesANDslugger

May 3, 2015
We have 3 month old conure's a male and a female. Our female has started biting my husband everytime he goes to pet her. I tried to see if he is petting her differently from me and he's not. Is this a phase she's going through? How do you correct this? My husband is super sweet with her. Advice please.

Xraysrrad

May 31, 2015
Media
North Carolina
Parrots
Crimson-Bellied Conure - Bodhi - Ramsey- Labradoodle
Hi peachesANDslugger,
I am a new bird owner. I recently purchased a 5 month old crimson-bellied conure, Bodhi.
Bodhi is not particularly fond of my husband either. I was wondering how things were going and if you have found a solution?
Robin

OP
peachesANDslugger

peachesANDslugger

May 3, 2015
Hi, Xraysrad, we give them a very light little pluck on their beak (very lightly flicking your finger), looking them in the eyes with a stern no, then hold them and pet them. They don't like the little light pluck, and I believe they also know were not happy with them, when we give them a stern "no". They will stop biting right away. There is emphasis on a "stern no"! Try not to say ouch or the bird will think you are a "squeek toy" and will keep biting you because they are entertained!

OP
peachesANDslugger

peachesANDslugger

May 3, 2015
Oh, forgot to tell you, xraysrad, the one (husband) being bitten has to be the to discipline the bird or the bird will always know who to bite! Try not to show fear because birds are very adept at sensing it and you become their entertainment when they bite! Birds are very intelligent.

OP
peachesANDslugger

peachesANDslugger

May 3, 2015
Your welcome, I'm Christine and my husband is Mike, were glad to meet you. Good luck with your new friend

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
i would steer away from flicking a bird's beak. It can actually really hurt them, even if you think you're being really gentle.

When my conure bites too hard, I pt her on the floor and walk away from her to tell her I don't like what you did that hurt. And now 90% of the time it only takes me doing this once for her to settle down.

OP
peachesANDslugger

peachesANDslugger

May 3, 2015
Yes it could, but that is why we do it "very lightly", with a stern no. I found this tip in a parrot training book,

OP
peachesANDslugger

peachesANDslugger

May 3, 2015
We haven't hurt our birds because, it's like a lite tap. It worked for us. Thanks Kyoto for the tip

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I can control a macaw beak with two fingers.

You can control a conure beak with ONE...

You need to pay attention to what the bird is doing when this is a problem, have your finger in position, and just swipe the beak away with your index finger BEFORE he latches on...

OP
peachesANDslugger

peachesANDslugger

May 3, 2015
Hi Birdman666, we actually have done this and she would just bite more. Maybe birds are like people, different personality among them. Ours did stop biting

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I can control a macaw beak with two fingers.

You can control a conure beak with ONE...

You need to pay attention to what the bird is doing when this is a problem, have your finger in position, and just swipe the beak away with your index finger BEFORE he latches on...

Birdman, you've spoken about using two fingers to control the beak before. is this simply swiping the beak away specifically what you are always talking about? For some reason I've always envisioned you actually grabbing the beak in your fingers, which i can only imagine woul garner you a couple stubs if attempted.

Most Reactions