biting baby english budgie

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
how do you stop a 7 week old baby english budgie from stop biting!!?? it has no problem being with people, he runs to you, and loves being with people, anyone, but as soon as you pick him up, he bites, constantly. He was the youngest of three babies I raised. The other two were exactly the same, bite, bite, bite. is this normal or will this faze out. I'm not too familiar with budgies and there behaviour, first time I've bred them. I normally breed lovebirds, cockatiels, and parrotlets. I love the little guy, but how do I get him to stop biting?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
What kind of biting is it? Is he exploring? Is he mad? Try and figure what what's going.

At 7 weeks, I would guess he's probably just exploring and find that flesh is very interesting to nom on! Try distracting him with toys or treats before he starts nibbling away!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I agree with the above, he could b exploring since he's at such a young age but if it's a real agression bite you should stop it at a young age. Give hima lot of chew on toys. It think he's exploring since its a comman activity at a young age, he'll faze our.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
it doesn't come across as aggression, he chews our fingers like he'd be playing with a toy. he's a real friendly bird, when I let him out of the cage, he follows me everywhere, he runs along the carpet right on my heels and he climbs our legs and hangs off them...he's pretty funny. he has tons of energy, I thought english budgies were suppose to be calmer?

OtterKin

Mar 22, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
Ha, mine isn't. He also bites like crazy when he doesn't want to be picked up. Honestly though, since I only keep him semi-tame and he's more of a companion for the other budgie, I ignore it. I wouldn't if he was a pet however.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Haha, you know I could tell this is your first experience with a budgie ! Not when they are little, they are a bunch of featherd monsters. When they start to mature you'll see them calming down but I can't gurantee you that ! I think he's just exploring. An agression bite means he's hates you and wants nothing to do with you. By your description it doesn't sound like it !

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
haha, he's a VERY friendly little guy, gets along with all my birds, including my baby conure, my young lovebird has taken a special liking to him, and prunes him quite a bit, my cockatiels have just accepted him as part of the 'flock'...so far so good
thanks for your advice everyone!! I guess training and patience are in order :)

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
sad,sad sad :( :( my baby Squishy died yesterday morning, what a shock! there were no outward signs of anything troubling other than the biting. this is when I wish I were a vet and maybe could have prevented this, missing him terribly!!.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
This is a real shock, not all baby's make it. He was not strong enough:(. I feel really sad . At least he was with somebody who cares for him.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
thanks bird lover, your right, only the fittest survive. today is better than yesterday, all I did was cry on and off all day. the bird show is next weekend and can't wait to go. I've been wanting to go for two years, but haven't had the chance for one reason or another. This time my daughter and I are going....maybe I can find another hand tamed english budgie, probably won't have the kookie, funny personality Squishy did, but we'll see if I find the right bird.;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts