Biting husband's ears and losing focus easily

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
Sarah, I have been following your posts as I find our Tiki is much like your Kyoto. Tiki loves me and my daughter but does not like my husband. We have had her 2 months now and s/he is 16 weeks old. We do the same thing you do as far as training, rewarding good behavior, ignoring bad behavior with time on the floor, etc.

Now the thing I want to say is... we have notice an improvement with her behavior towards my husband and the difference between Kyo and Tiki is that Tiki's wings are clipped. I know you don't want to do this and I respect that totally but just wanted to let you know that we have had same experiences as you have had with some improvement towards hubby and the only difference I noticed is that Tiki is clipped.

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Sarah, I have been following your posts as I find our Tiki is much like your Kyoto. Tiki loves me and my daughter but does not like my husband. We have had her 2 months now and s/he is 16 weeks old. We do the same thing you do as far as training, rewarding good behavior, ignoring bad behavior with time on the floor, etc.

Now the thing I want to say is... we have notice an improvement with her behavior towards my husband and the difference between Kyo and Tiki is that Tiki's wings are clipped. I know you don't want to do this and I respect that totally but just wanted to let you know that we have had same experiences as you have had with some improvement towards hubby and the only difference I noticed is that Tiki is clipped.

Thank you so much for your input. Hubby is meanwhile so sweet and all like "oh no don't do that just because she doesn't like me! I will feel terrible. It's okay she'll get used to me eventually..."

I'm so lucky he's beyond patient about it. <3

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
That's a good man btw.... ;)

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
That's a good man btw.... ;)

He is absolutely wonderful in so many way :) I am a lucky lady. I've never met someone who was so patient and kind and loving in my entire life.

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I just wanted to update that the past few weeks, Kyo has been SO well behaved. Still not very nice to hubby, but working on it slowly...

I normally wear a sweater to prevent her nipping my arms, but she is finally starting to really respect fully bite pressure training. She's been a little calmer and a little better at playing independently out of her cage (aka not having to be on me constantly).

A lot of this is because I've been given such great advice from this wonderful forum. I truly believe that being on here has improved my relationship with her tenfold.

Thanks everyone.,

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Foo is not a huge fan of my hubby either. Her issues are a little opposite however, she is mostly sweet outside the cage, but if he dares to touch her space she just loses it.

Some things that effect Foo-sleep is one of the most important ones. She seriously does not do well if she doesn't get her full uninterrupted sleep. All less than ideal behaviors are magnified the entire next day if she doesn't get her beauty rest.

changes in her schedule. She does not appreciate waiting a few hours before she gets her breakfast, or if we eat dinner and didn't provide her's prior. The cage not being open in a timely fashion is just rude as far as she is concerned. Now we can change the schedule but it needs to be done with some care. Like if she is going to have to be locked in her cage when she normally isn't, if we let her come fully out and do a little interaction and give a treat and then place her back in she is all good. If breakfast is going to be late, a little slice of apple or a piece of popcorn will do till I can get to it.

For just your husband I would find a special treat that she really likes that she only gets when interacting with him. He could start with just walking by her cage or play area and handing it to her if doesn't do any actions that indicate hostility. I wouldn't encourage any really playful behavior between your husband and him till Kyoto can learn to be gentle with him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts