Biting problems...need help!

Hopefulworld

Apr 23, 2018
Parrots
Charlie (aka. Coco) - Green cheek conure - Born August 12, 2017
Hello again,

So, my step-father would like to get closer to our bird, a green cheek conure. However, he bites him and attacks him on site. He is fine with children and loves any type of females (not kidding. You're a girl, he loves you.), but when it comes to my step-dad, you might as well think he was trying to kill the bird with the way he (the bird) attacks my father.

Are there any tricks or something we can do to improve their relationship and keep peace in the house?

Thanks in advance!

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Hi. I am by no means an authority on this subject, but from reading posts and articles here is some advice.
Many birds will take to a female or male. Or they may take to a certain family member and reject all others. They may take to a family pet and reject their owner.
I live alone and my Buddy has bonded with me. But when my Granddaugters come over, he will nip at me and only wants to be with them.

As far as your problem, Imwould advise reading many posts on this forum regarding biting. There are also many YouTube videos on the subject. It will take a lot of work for your bird to gain back the trust that has been lost AND there is no guarantee that the problem will be fixed.
All depends on the time and commitment you and your step father want to invest.
Am sorry I can't be more specific to your situation. Others here may be able to offer more advice but your problem is a very general and frequent situation. Good luck.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Every bird is an individual. Itā€™s hard to say why they react differently to people. If a person looks like someone who once hurt/scared them, or looks like someone who raised them, or looks like a rival for your affection....But most of the instinct based reactions can be changed. Anyone who wants to make friends with a parrot has to study up and work at it and be patient because it can take years. It helps for the preferred person to not reward bad behavior...for example, a parrot might lean that if it bites Harry, Sally will come pick him up. So it takes both of you. Sally Blanchardā€™s ā€œBeak Bookā€ is a good reference as is Parrots For Dummies. Lots of threads on these forums, too. Donā€™t give up.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
What is your conure's favorite treat?

Can your step-dad give this treat to your conure any time he walks by the cage? Your conure does not need to take the treat directly from step-dad, merely have the treat dropped into a special treat cup any time he walks by. That's simply enough. Over time, he can then try feeding the treat through the cage bars - but in a way that your conure can't bite! That's imperative!

Any time your bird bites, this reinforces the need to bite, so we want to avoid situations that result in bites and create positive experiences.

Most Reactions