Black capper lory or Quaker parrot ?

Exe1ans

Mar 31, 2020
Hello. I am wanting to ask a question
I would like to buy parrot but ı can't decide
1-Which parrot is smarter and more naughty? (Lory or Quaker)
2-what are the differences between rainbow lory and black capper lory ?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The bug question is can you provide the prop diet for a lory, abd deal with cleaning squit poops.

Diet:
Feeding a Black-capped Lory is a challenge. All lories and lorikeets are brush-tongued parrots, an unusual branch of the psittacine family tree that is evolved to feed on the nectar from flowering trees, with a little bit of flowers, fruit, and perhaps insects on the side. To create a practical version of this diet in captivity, most people start with a high quality, well-regarded commercial liquid nectar, with about 50% of the diet coming from the nectar and the remaining 50% coming from a fruit and vegetable puree or chop salad. If you have kept other parrots, you may be familiar with a chop salad that leans heavily toward the greens and vegetable side of the produce aisle. With the lories, you need to be focused mostly on the fruits, with a small amount of such vegetables as cooked corn added for variety.
Black-capped Lories are at risk for iron storage disease and gout, which means that they thrive on a low iron, low protein diet. Many deep green vegetables, including spinach, chard, and turnip tops, contain oxalates, a chemical that improves the body's ability to store iron – a bad thing for lories. Vitamin C also helps the body store iron, which means that you shouldn't overfeed C-rich citrus fruit like oranges. Similarly, a healthy “soak and cook” with plenty of sprouted beans and peas will have way too much protein for lories.
They cannot digest seed, and if you try to maintain your Black-capped Lory on a seed-based diet, it will starve. What about pellets? Most off-the-shelf pellets are dangerous for lories but, in recent decades, specialty suppliers have developed a small pellet or a dry powder, as an alternative to liquid nectar. However, not everyone agrees that these pellets are a healthy diet for lories. It does change the quality of their droppings, to make them firmer and easier to clean, but many breeders feel that liquid nectar is more natural and easier on the lory's system.
The major advantage of the new “dry” nectar is that you don't have sweet, damp food sitting in front of your bird all day. If you go this route, be sure to provide plenty of water in a nearby hanging water bottle. Be certain that the pellet or mix is a low iron product intended for lories, or don't even consider it.
Most experts do stick with liquid nectar, but we all know that nectar (sugar water!) is a great growth medium for bacteria. Hence, you have to change the nectar bottles frequently – every four hours during the day in hot weather and at least twice a day in any circumstance. You must never feed honey, avocado, or chocolate to your Black-capped Lory.
https://rightpet.com/breed-species/birds/black-capped-lory

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I've never had a black capped or a rainbow, but I have had two purple crowned lorikeets in my lifetime, one male about 20 years ago and my little minx of a hen I have now.

Lorikeets and quakers are both VERY smart. Probably smarter than me :) Both of them are SO smart that they would not do well being kept as an "only" bird if the human flock is absent from the house for most of the day, because they're so smart they quickly become bored and lonely which could lead to self-destructive habits like feather plucking. Of the two species I would suggest quakers might be a little easier to keep given they don't have the kind of dietary requirements that lorikeets do, to say nothing about their liquid projectile poop! I would further suggest perhaps quakers are a little easier to train, Laurasea is our resident quaker-whisperer so listen to EVERYTHING she has to say about that! Lorikeets are hysterically funny excitable little goofballs but can easily be over-stimulated into undesirable aggressive or hormonal behaviours. This is the main reason why I have always stuck to the smaller species - my little Lilly is smaller than a budgie but when her hormones are raging she can bite very hard indeed, *almost* to the point of drawing blood. An associate of mine about 20 years ago had a rainbow that became extremely bitey upon maturity and was inflicting some real damage with his beak, so she decided to get him a mate. Let's just say her biting troubles only doubled when a second lorikeet was introduced!

Rainbow lorikeets are funny, endearing, playful little fuzzballs that can become mad, bad and dangerous to know in the blink of an eye. Again, because training and discipline have never been my strong points, I have only ever owned their little cousins. Depending on where you are located you may think about the smaller species like Goldies (my dream bird!), scaly-breasted or must lorikeets. Their antics are just as entertaining but their beaks less damaging!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Lamanku, I read the black vsooed Lorie's are a little less prone to bites. But I have 0 experience with Lorie's. I got one couldn't deal with extra special diet, extra special cleaning... But they seem neat!

Quakers, are loud, they like to be loud, I love them, but the struggle with noise is real! ,
They are smart and social, and an active species. Because if that they are prone to multiple behavior issues if their needs aren't met. Like screaming ( but heck min do for fun) and feather destructive behavior, notoriously prone to plucking, and self mutilating, it's even called Quaker mutilation syndrome, they usually attack their feet and chew off toes, and mutilating the chest.

With all of that, I do love them. But they need in my opinions 7 hours if out if the cage time, at least an hour of head pets and scritches, need to b kept flighted ( in my opinion and to burn if energy) tons of stuff to chew up and destroy every single day, teach foraging, teach toys.
They are rehome by the thousand for people not meeting their smart needs, and there very social needs, and then that makes them have behavior issues.
They are very cage aggressive as adults. But wonderful away from the cage. My birds are kissing me snuggle with me, hand in the cage they scream and bite that hand.

Now like I said you meet their needs and they are amazing. But still loud, mine all like to screech when they fly, it's like they can't fly without screeching lol.

Also all parrots have a lot if special needs and are not easy pets. If it's your dreams and you are deducted, then you'll be like us crazy about them, but making a lot of sacrifices. ;)!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts