Blood Feathers Again

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Folger broke another two blood feathers the past couple days. He snapped these so the tip is still there. I am calling tomorrow morning to see if the vet is in to get them pulled all the way even though we start the move tomorrow.

Should I just not take him out for the next couple months? He keeps snapping or dropping all the new flight feathers he gets when he comes out. He freaks about something makes a run for it and when he lands or crashes really he breaks the new flight feathers.

I don't know if the new place is going to make him feel better since he will be more separated from my mothers two loud mouths. I am really hoping so because I am not sure how to stop the broken blood feathers except to just not take him out until he has enough to protect them.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
So the vet said there is nothing I can do except take him out as little as possible while they are growing in. She yanked the two broken tips out and another blood feather broke while they were trying to work with him...so she had to yank a third one out... the sound Folger made each time was very sad:(

Though the slightly more amusing part was watching the vet tech try to hold Folger and Folger pulling all the tricks to get to her finger:rolleyes: At least the tech had a sense of amusement about it...there was also a new tech observing the proceedings and the vet was like yeah this is not the one to practice on lol

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Poor thing: In fact, poor both of you. I've been fussing over Alice tonight because she's started moulting and is being all moody and crochetty about it... now I'm just going to tell her to stop sulking and think of poor Folger! He'll get there though, however long it takes.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I can't wait till he just grows them all in but with breaking them every two seconds it will take forever! I will not be clipping him again unless he is flying into walls or something else dangerous to himself.

Most Reactions

Latest posts