Blood

WhirlyBirdy

Dec 15, 2013
australia
Parrots
Sun conure and Yellow sided green cheek
So my sun conure went for a fly and the next thing I know half his tail feathers are on the floor, i didn't see him hit anything and he is moulting but any way about ten minute later I noticed amlittle bit of blood on the feathers near his tail. And when I mean little I mean like very little, but it has still got me freaked out. He is not stressed out or any different to normal and no more blood has appeared since and this was like an hour ago. I tried getting in contact with the vet but his office hours are over. There doesn't appear to be any feather shafts left brocken in him. Should i be worried and what should I do until i can take him to the vet

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
You could dab some corn starch on the bloody part to help stop any more bleeding until you can contact the vet. If he starts acting distressed though, you can try contacting an emergency vet.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Best thing would be to keep him calm, see if you can figure out where the blood came from and otherwise keep an eye on him. Keep an eye for any odd behavior.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If you can find out which blood feather that's bleeding. Yank it! If you can't find it, dab corn starch or flour on it as it will stop the bleeding but if he bumps it again, he can open the wound back up. That's why if you can find out which one it is and just yank it out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts