Blue and Gold Macaw Sexual Maturation

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
:blue1:
Hello, I am new here, and am the owner of an extraordinary Blue and Gold Macaw, Spencer 'the Wonder Schnoodle' (aka the Evil Genius) and have an general question.

Spencer entered sexual maturation March 2009 when he was close to turning 6 yrs old, he will be turning 9 yrs in a month. (I got him when he was 3 mos old).

I have learned lot from and during these sexual maturation harrowing experiences. Is there ever a timeframe, in years I presume, when this will curb and slow down? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Cami

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Hi Cami~ Welcome to the forum, I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on here then me! We didn't get Remington until he was 13~ I am curious too to see what others have to say.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
We've had Willie since he was 2, he started when he was around 6 as well but went into full hormone this past fall when he turned 10 back in may. He become a real terror!!! He'll be 11 in may so we'll see if he slows down. Dixie our LSC too is about 20 and she hasn't slow down any......

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
https://companionparrotonline.com/columbo.html

https://companionparrotonline.com/sex_csaky.html

Please read the above links.

I don't have a B&G Macaw but i can imagine the sexual behaviour is much the same with all species. But when any of my birds start displaying these behaviours i simply put them back on their play stand or if they are really they get a shower. That usually gives them something else to do & takes their attention somewhere else.

If your birds are a little over the top with their intentions I have heard that Avicalm can be given & it does help.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]AviCalm Calming Supplement

Avitec's AviCalm is an formulation specific for parrots. AviCalm uses a compound found in green tea leaves and is safe for birds. Can be of help for parrots who scream more than usual due to fear or stress, nervous or aggressive birds for a calming aid. Can also be of help for behavior related feather pickers and chewers, and over-preeners.

Can be used when your bird will be traveling, or moving to a new environments, to help relieve some of the stress that might occur.

AviCalm is completely safe, non-sedating, and non-toxic. Can also be used along with Featheriffic! for birds who over-preen or remove feathers.

Just sprinkle on fruit, fresh veggies, bird bread, or even on dry seed mixes.
[/FONT]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Pedro,

Is that product safe to use on ekkies as well? When I read the word supplement I start to wonder...

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Some here say they are using the AviCalm for themselves. Do you really believe it helps with hormonal behavior as well, Pedro? Because Merlin is going bonkers courting me and she even got a shot for it. As far as I can tell, it isn't working!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Pedro,

Is that product safe to use on ekkies as well? When I read the word supplement I start to wonder...

Apparently so. Mikey. I have a couple of friends here in OZ that had problems with their eclectus plucking, they gave their birds Avicalm with the featheriffic & within weeks the feathers grew back. Just google both products & see what you think.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
Some here say they are using the AviCalm for themselves. Do you really believe it helps with hormonal behavior as well, Pedro? Because Merlin is going bonkers courting me and she even got a shot for it. As far as I can tell, it isn't working!

To be honest I really don't know. I don't have hormonal problems with my companion parrots. All i do is feed them a balanced maintenance diet, just enough to keep them healthy & when i handle them it's just a quick cuddle, kiss on the beak & then put on the play stand, they get heaps of showers under the hose & then i let them forage in the garden.

I would have thought my 10 year old SC Too would have started to be a bit of a problem but so far he's OK. He does do some strange things though but i have never encouraged him.

I do however feel for you guy's over there heading into spring. It's Autum here so winter is just around the corner.:p

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I'm gonna look them up, so far my methods not working....

OP
Cami

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
https://companionparrotonline.com/columbo.html

https://companionparrotonline.com/sex_csaky.html

Please read the above links.

I don't have a B&G Macaw but i can imagine the sexual behaviour is much the same with all species. But when any of my birds start displaying these behaviours i simply put them back on their play stand or if they are really they get a shower. That usually gives them something else to do & takes their attention somewhere else.

If your birds are a little over the top with their intentions I have heard that Avicalm can be given & it does help.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]AviCalm Calming Supplement

Avitec's AviCalm is an formulation specific for parrots. AviCalm uses a compound found in green tea leaves and is safe for birds. Can be of help for parrots who scream more than usual due to fear or stress, nervous or aggressive birds for a calming aid. Can also be of help for behavior related feather pickers and chewers, and over-preeners.

Can be used when your bird will be traveling, or moving to a new environments, to help relieve some of the stress that might occur.

AviCalm is completely safe, non-sedating, and non-toxic. Can also be used along with Featheriffic! for birds who over-preen or remove feathers.

Just sprinkle on fruit, fresh veggies, bird bread, or even on dry seed mixes.
[/FONT]
I was told by my avian vet to use a few drops of benedryl, cooled chamamile tea in place of water, or valarian root...nothing made an impact

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
Have any considered that the diet your feeding could be contributing to hormonal behavior. I know i have mentioned this before. Most are feeding their companion parrots as if they were breeding birds. So are keeping their companions in top breeding condition & that brings raging hormonal behaviour. Something to think about anyway.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Pedro,

The food you said that cause them to be in breeding condition, the thing is I feed every so often of those items, not a everyday occurance. I feed mine a pretty balanced diet with fruits & veggies, along with pellets. So its not the cause...

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
Pedro,

The food you said that cause them to be in breeding condition, the thing is I feed every so often of those items, not a everyday occurance. I feed mine a pretty balanced diet with fruits & veggies, along with pellets. So its not the cause...

I think your birdies just loves:10: you to much:p

If you know how to control the behaviour & it's not really an issue why worry to much. Especially if it just a seasonal thing.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
It don't bother me at all, I just have to be more careful around two of them during that time....lol.....

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
There are shots for Parrots and I tried them on my Eclectus and then I read about the side effects, Kindney cancers and so on. I would advise anyone to to try their best to modify the behavior rather then adjust their hormones or potions.
When Nature calls, who are we to stop it.
I agree with the earlier post, give baths, play with your Parrots on the floor with toys, take them for a car ride if you can, take them to bird meeting or clubs to be around other birds.
Whenever my Eclectus acts up, I do one of the following I just mentioned and it really seems to help. no more shots for my Eclectus and will not even consider them for Neleno my GW.
If at all fails, Put a Bird talk Mag into their cage, cover them up for privacy, put on a little Barry White (Can't get enough of your love baby) and enjoy their evening.lol Best of luck to all. Joe

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Merlin got the hormone shot because it's supposed to help calm the Bornavirus symptoms. I guess I'd rather take my chances on side effects if she doesn't have seizures. But, at night, sometimes I can't even approach her without her suddenly making us a nest. And when she gets in nesting mode or regurgitation mode she is so focused on that, she doesn't seem to be able to think about anything else. Several nights now I have not been able to cover her until rather late at night because when I approach she is hoping I'm going to climb into the cage with her and set up house:D

None of my birds get aggressive or mean during their hormonal times so it's not a huge problem. I'm able to handle the male amazon every day several times a day. And Merlin and Rowdy as well. I guess I just feel bad for Merlin, she so wants me to join her!

Most Reactions