Blue and Gold sick?

klwehe

Dec 15, 2011
sacramento ca
Parrots
blue and gold macaw
well here is the story, we finally got our blue and gold macaw on january 20th, exactly 1 week ago today. her hatch date was 10-11-11 and she was completly weaned looks great no problems that we have noticed at all, very well mannered although we can tell she was very spoiled by the breeder, does not bite and shes learning quickly what is acceptable and what is not. so i will get to the point, we noticed since we have gotten her that she does sneeze here and there, no bigdeal we though. since then it has gotten a little worse, no disscharge but i would say about 5-10 sneezes a day so it started to worry us. we took her into the vet today to get her looked at and they told us that she did have a very minimal amount of disscharge dryed up in her nostril and advised us to get tests done which we are now waiting for. since then she has been acting a little weird, she came home from the vet and is not really her normal self, very jumpy, seems to be sneezing even more, and now when she is inside of her cage she just sits on the bottom and kind of hangs out or sleeps. she has never done this before, although when we took her out for a second time she seems fine again so i am a little confused at this point, there are no candles being lit, no type of fragrance sprays, carpet is vacummed, no cleaners, and yet she is still sneezing like crazy. could this along with her staying at the bottom of the cage be something that i need to closely watch until we get the results back? anyone have any ideas on what it could be? :blue1:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I don't really know, but I thought these large birds needed longer time to wean... It looks like this one was weaned at 8 weeks old.

I would contact the breeder to see what they say...

Also curious if you have any other animals, including birds?

maggiesmom

Feb 17, 2012
Are you sure of the hatch date? Far to early to be weaned if the hatch date is accurate. B&G's should wean 3-4 months old. Our B&G was still accepting formula at 6 months (when we adopted her) which helped us bond tremendously. Our severe whom we got at 2 weeks, we weaned, I think right around 3 months (lol 18 yrs ago, so its hard to remember exactly). Call the breeder right away and verify the hatch date and make sure they didn't leave some important new owner instructions...such as hand feeding!

The sneezing wouldn't bother me so much as the sitting on the bottom of her cage sleeping btw. Its really not a natural place for them to be UNLESS, she is as young as your hatch date indicates. Even at that I would be seriously concerned. She could have been stressed from the vet visit and if she does have an infection the stress could have just aggravated it.

Our B&G sneezes several times a day...she loves to tickle her nares which causes her to sneeze...comical really...she sneezes, then our 4 yr old fake sneezes, then they repeat. Its a daily game designed to see who gets board first...always the 4 yr old.

Last edited:

Most Reactions