Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Sherlock - Blue crowned conure 10yr,
Sunny - yellow sided GCC 3yr,
Echo - yellow sided GCC 2yr,
Kiwi - Blue fronted amazon 15yr
RIP Nate - the best cockatiel
I was reading a list that rates parrots on talking ability and Blue crowns are rated as the worst. I wanted to see how everyone else's BCC talking ability was compared to other parrots. Sherlock my BCC knows a few phrases hello, good bird, give me a kiss, bye bye, wolf whistle, loud kissing sound, a loud hmmm, whose my baby bird. Sometimes they can be hard to understand.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I was told that my 30 year old female Tootsie used to talk some. 2nd or 3rd hand information is that she had an encounter with a pet snake who escaped it's cage and was found curled up in the bottom of her cage. Supposedly she never talked again after that. She does a kind of breathy mumble when I talk to her but I've never been able to discern any words.

Rosco, my rescued male, says 3 things. "What ya doin?", "Pret-birrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd" and "Wack-a-wack-a-wack-a....." Except for the "wack-a", the other two phrases are not very distinct.

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
I was reading a list that rates parrots on talking ability and Blue crowns are rated as the worst. I wanted to see how everyone else's BCC talking ability was compared to other parrots. Sherlock my BCC knows a few phrases hello, good bird, give me a kiss, bye bye, wolf whistle, loud kissing sound, a loud hmmm, whose my baby bird. Sometimes they can be hard to understand.

Mine says "peek a boo" but when I first rescued him he only said "peek boo" and that sounded like something you'd hear on Comedy Central or FX... :eek:

He wolf whistles, says "I love you", kisses (in two ways), laughs and whines (as appropriate to the emotions he picks up on), can mimic simple tunes... sometimes it's gruff but the cadence is there. He even flies and lands on my finger at times...

Can't believe he was abandoned...

OP
ACE209

ACE209

Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Today Sherlock shocked my whole family. My dad stubbed his toe on the table and let out a huge f bomb. Sherlock laughed and repeated it. I think that's the first time anyone has cussed around him and funny how fast he picked that up but has trouble with pretty bird SMH shameful bird.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Yeah. But it was such a loud, energetic and fun word! It had to be a good thing! ;)

I suppose you will have to do the ignore and turn away when he says it routine now. I've never had a bird that learned any bad words but I've heard that it can help reduce the number of times he drops that bomb.

OP
ACE209

ACE209

Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
I hasn't repeated it yet but I'm sure it will burst out again. He's in a weird mimic everything stage right now he's had these before the words never stick but he copies everyone.

Buttons

Mar 5, 2014
Upstate New York
Parrots
Lampshade (Blue Crown Conure),
Spook and Yellow (Budgies)
Lampshade says Hello pretty clearly when she hears a phone ringing, sometimes she even says it if I'm holding a cell phone! She seems to have learned words before we adopted her (2007) and hasn't picked up any new words since.

Most Reactions

Latest posts