Blue fronted Amazon handling

mbrumelow

Jul 15, 2012
Media
I have been the proud owner of a female BFA for about 6 months now. I love my bird (Vega is her name) very much, and she seems very content, but she is very shy of being petted. The only time she will allow any petting or scratching is at night when she seems very tired. I got her when she was about 6 months old. I am wondering if this is normal? I would love for her to be more affectionate, as I am used to dogs and such loving to be petted. Any advice or information on this?:green: Do these birds get more affectionate with time? Or does she just need her space?

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
OP
M

mbrumelow

Jul 15, 2012
Media
Thanks Ann! This is pretty much what I have read, so I suppose we will just let Vega adjust at her own pace. She is still such a joy to have around, even if she doesn't like being scratched or petted much. She does love to be on my should or hand, or with me in general. Just not to be touched much.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the Forum:)

Amazons like to be petted on their terms! My Amazon only likes to be petted first thing in the morning and just before she goes to bed:)

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
my nanday was like that in the beginning. at first he got used to sitting on my hand and accepted light head scratching. now he begs me to pick him up and leans into my hand for scratching. i never thought he would be so affectionate. he really surprised me and i think your bird could, too. i think it just takes more time and socialization/experience for your bird.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Yeah amazons aren't known for being petted alot I also am getting a BFA in 1 month and 15 days time I'm not expecting her to be all cuddly our Senegal is just the same its on her terms or no way but I think in time as you two grow closer she will become more affectionate towards you just give it time and let it happen on her terms :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I have some very cuddly zons, but i've had them a long time. I think you need to keep from trying to pet them often. Wait till they show an interest and then only give them a little,leave them wanting more of your affections. Like most of us they too ,want what they can;t have, so they crave it more. I think many new owners mess up by trying too hard to cuddly early in the relationship and it makes the birds shy away from affections. Just my casual observations.

gazzington

Nov 28, 2011
Hi, Lupin (male blue front) lets me know when he would like to have some fuss as he pushes his head out and the feathers all around it fluff out. As henpecked says though it is best to leave them wanting more. If I carry on petting him for longer he lets me know by giving me a bite. The knack is to stop a while before that happends.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Kazi loves cuddles! When Kazi *wants* cuddles, which is before a nap or before bed. Dogs and cats are pretty much always up for a scratch, birds not so much, in my experience :)

Of course if I don't give him those cuddles right when he wants them I hear about that too...

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Mine go through phases. One of my females has her moments of being fairly cuddly. She also goes through phases of being aloof and fairly indiferent. With amazons, its good to offer scratches often. But be willing to accept NO for an answer. I always ask mine first. I hold out a finger a few inches away and ask them if they want scratches. If they give me a certain look then its a yes and as henpecked said, I always stop before they get tired of it. Usually its literally a quick scratch lasting less than 30 seconds. But, you don't want to be in their face always asking if they want scratches either. That tends to be percieved as pushy and then they will push back and you'll end up with a very defensive relationship with the bird. I walk past my bird's cage and offer scratches 3-6 times a day, and if she's in the mood then we do a more intensive one and one time in the evening which may or may not involve a lot of petting depending on what she wants.

Chaz12

Jun 5, 2012
Media
Belle MO
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Ya, you can't be forceful with your parrot or they will bite you. Let it choose when she wants petted.. I act like I am scratching Sassy's neck without touching her and she decides whether she wants petted or not. I just simply wiggle my finger up and down showing her it from a distance. She will ruffle up her feathers and bend forward if she wants petted.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I agree with melissa, Be ready to take "NO" for an answer. Being "pushy" won't make much progress.

Most Reactions