blue fronted amazon questons

vannoyfarms

Oct 19, 2011
Parrots
1 blue fronted amazon
hello i was told that the reason my parrot was mean was because bf amazon parrots gets mean and unfriendly after 10yr old is that true or is there something i can to to calm him down?

I also took him to a bird expert/breeder and had is wings and beak and nails trimmed and it has helped a little bit. i just got this parrot as was told in the last post.

mail

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Whoever told you that obviously had a bad experience with one to make such a judgment. Blue Fronts are wonderful parrots and as with any parrot may have issues to work through as they age.

It would help if you would tell us what it is that your parrot is doing that is "mean" and how long you have owned him. Etc.

OP
V

vannoyfarms

Oct 19, 2011
Parrots
1 blue fronted amazon
hello iv had him about 1 month now.. and not saying hes mean hes just have additude.
like when you try to pet him he tries to bite you and yells and you can only pck him up with a purch. he will sit on my arm after u get him out with the purch but you can not touch him or he will bite you.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
It will take longer than a month for him to fully trust you. You have to respect his cues. He doesn't yet trust to be petted. My Orange Wing only likes head scratches and will walk/fly away if I try petting him. He will also give warnings when he's not in the mood. Keep spending as much time as you can with him and give him time to trust you. Mine will not leave me alone now. Anytime I leave the room he flies on my head. I end up doing dishes, laundry, vacuuming, going to the bathroom, etc. with a Parrot on my head. LOL It makes things difficult but I love him too much to say NO.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Mean and unfriendly can only human be, not perrots. give it time and give your bird some space and read about perrot behaviour and how to train them

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
IMG00737-20110903-1842.jpg

282407_10150392446389572_514359571_10360017_4620383_n.jpg

Here are a couple pics of my blue front. It will take time but they truly are lovely parrots.

CaraBeth

Dec 1, 2011
fort lauderdale fl
Parrots
blue fronted amazon, parakeets
I have questions i just got a blue fronted amazon who does not want anything to do with people he was previously treated badly. When i got him he was in a small cage and the people gave him no love. He is a beautiful bird i just need to know additional ways that i can make him co/me around. Everyday i give him a new piece of fruit and that is working slowly are they're any methods that have worked for anyone in this situation. He is a beautiful bird and i only want to make him happy.

CaraBeth

Dec 1, 2011
fort lauderdale fl
Parrots
blue fronted amazon, parakeets
I have questions i just got a blue fronted amazon who does not want anything to do with people he was previously treated badly. When i got him he was in a small cage and the people gave him no love. He is a beautiful bird i just need to know additional ways that i can make him co/me around. Everyday i give him a new piece of fruit and that is working slowly are they're any methods that have worked for anyone in this situation. He is a beautiful bird and i only want to make him happy.

he is only two years old his names is
Rico he knows his name he doesn't like men, but i want him to be the happiest he can be, he can speak but he only speaks when he is around me. he was a rescue and i need real answers he is an amazing bird hes so beautiful i've already fallen in love with him

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey CaraBeth, welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place. I have much experience with amazons and rehomed amazons. I'd love to help you and Rico. First of all you have a bird that does have an attitude, (that's why we love them).You need to be confident,trustworthy and out going to be buddies with an amazon.We'd love to help so ask questions and give us lots of history when asking advice. Feel free to PM me or ask "stupid"questions, we'd like for you to have the kind of relationship with your fid that we have with ours.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I just brought home a 28 year old YC almost 3 weeks ago. He had been with the same owner all that time, since he was a newly weaned chick. I expected it would take a long time to trust me, but it happened much sooner than I thought it would. For the first 2 days he wanted nothing to do with me. I just spent most of that time in the room where his cage is, but didn't push it. Then the third day I was outside most of the afternoon, and apparently he did miss my sitting there! When I came in, he started singing opera for me. That was the first vocalization I had gotten other than growling at me. That was a good start.

It can help if you sit on the floor beneath the cage so you are lower than he is. And just talk or sing to him. I haven't met a bird yet that doesn't appreciate a human who will sing for it. They don't care if you are a bad singer!

The other thing I did that really won him over was to imitate every noise he made, whether it was a word, a bodily function sound, opera notes, or any of his other vocalizations. That seemed to go a long way! And I praise him a lot when he strikes poses to get my attention.

I also started handing him treats through the bars. If he will take food from your hand, that is a way he is telling you he is starting to trust you. Eat in the room where his cage is and make yum yum sounds. Then go offer him a piece of your meal.

By the end of the first week he was willing to come out for me and let me hold him, and cuddle a bit.

Now some birds don't like to be petted. My Nanday doesn't. But, she still wants to come out and interact with me. She's just never going to be a cuddle bunny, but we are still great friends who have been together a long time now.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey vannoyfarms, are you in PI ? i'll be there this spring and would happy to visit and check out your Amazon. I'll be in Manila mid Jan for a few days and again late Feb, rest of the time i'll be out and about the Island, mostly Quezon.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts