Bonding with one person only

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
Solomon island female eclectus
Guys i need some advise.

Rani(female eclectus 2 yrs old) is turning into a spoiled brat.

She only eats on the dining table what we eat. Now i am tricking her with a mixture of her food mixed with a bit of ours. is this ok? Ofcourse i make sure i remove a bit before i add salt to the food for her.

She only wants to sit in my husbands office all day long. That too on the desk. We are trying to teach her to sit on the stand but that is not going so well.

Can Female ekkies just bond with one person like the greys? I mean she goes to everyone in the house but she prefers to hang out in my husbands office when he is home.

Also she does not eat any fruits except for grapes. She would eat apple sometimes but normally does not prefer fruit. She like whole grains a lot. Also for the veggies she only eats cooked veggies. Is this normal.

I am so worried she is not getting her nutrients. She had her vet check a month ago and she is fine but still she needs to eat on her own.

Any ideas will help

OP
R

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
And forgot to mention. I put her stand right in front of my face on the table where she wants to sit. But still she jumps off the stand and will just sit on the computer desk in the middle of the monitor screen.

chrisi

OP
R

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
Also guys i need some advise on sprouting please

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
no idea on what sprouting is,

but spoiling a birds a little like spoiling a child, i learnt the hard way, set boundries

if she prefers to hang out with your hubby, let him set them

he just needs to be firm an consistant, so he needs to move her off etc an you BOTH need to be firm when she does her cute thing to break rules!

as for food, reduce what she has, not drastically! i did this with nut she now eats her pellets/fresh fruit an veg as she has nothing else through the day, but still has her super with us as a family

its not an over night fix, its taken me a few months of hit an miss techniques and its worth it as the out come is a calmer, behaves most of the time nut!

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
Sprouting is easy, you can buy special jars but i just used a normal jar and cut a circle out of the lid. Then i cut up an old lacy bra to put over the top of the jar before screwing on the hollow lid and Voila! Sprouting Jar!

The idea is to have a lid on it that allows you to drain the water out of the jar without losing the sprouts. Fill the jar 1./2 full with seed ( you can get special sprouting mixtures but i just use normal birdseed - although this all sprout at different times)

Cover the seeds with water, shake them gently then drain. Then fill up with water again and leave for a few minutes. Drain them off so they are still damp and put them on the windowsill ( not too hot though, if its very warm where you are try and keep them out of the sun). Then just keep rinsing and draining twice a day until you see them start to sprout (will take 2 days or so).
Once they sprout chuck them in the fridge so they last, remember to keep rinsing them..
They keep for a few days so its good to have a few jars on the go!
They have most nutritional value when the little sprouty bits are still less than 3mm long

Another thing I do is make a bit of birdcgae lawn for my eccie. Get a flat tray, lay it out with lots of paper towels, wet them and sprinkle on birdseed generously. Wrap in gladwrap, leave on the windowsill and once you have a bit of grass (still young grass, just sprouted), chucmk it on top of the cage for her to play with. Soon you will have a lush verdant green birdseed lawn whjich is fun to shred!

In regards to the behavioural stuff, without going into to much detail, boundaries a very important. If she wont do as shes supposed to when shes out she needs to go away again or you are just reinforcing her behaviour! Once they get bad habits they are hard to break so nip it in the bud ASAP! No more feeding at the table, you are creating a rod for your own back! But maybe feed her at the same time as you, but only in the cage...? Soften the blow =)

Good luck!

p.s Gladwrap is New Zealand for plastic wrap..I think you guys call it Sarran Wrap or cling film or something?

OP
R

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
Thank you for the responses. I will definitely try these ideas.

Day 1 of being a tough momma....she ate dinner in her cage. I was sitting in her room but ignoring her. She came to the dining table but since she had already eaten she was not much interested in our food. Seems like this will work I just have to be strong.

Honestly I do not mind her on the dining table but then if I ever have to leave her with a friend due to any emergency or when we have guest. I want to make sure she knows u can eat in the cage. Currently she thinks the dining table is the best place to find good treats lol.

I will work on the sprouting tomorrow.

Mean little thing looked at me first picked up the mung lentis I gave her and threw them on the floor....I picked it up and put them back in her bowl mixed with powder pellets....then she had her head in the bowl for 20 mins....go figure....

Most Reactions