Brady a bird...not a rock!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
It has been a few days past 6 months since Brady came into my life. For those who don't remember I was going with a friend looking at birds to help her choose when Brady no two ways about it, picked me. :D

She was over weight when I got her and extremely clumsy due to one of the most hacked wing clips I had EVER seen! I mean it was so bad I feared that she might have permanent injury, in fact I made a phone call to the place that used to clip her wings for the woman I got her from and reamed them out! Poor girl would get to playing, lose her balance and go down like a rock! I have all hardwood floors in my house so it was always so scary when she fell. She would sometimes hold her wing out after falling and say "You Okay?" so I knew she had always been clipped short.

So today she is on the stand in the living room and FLEW about 19 feet to land on the dining room table. Now mind you this was not with great control or any grace (shhhh don't tell her) but I was so excited and happy for her, I admit I got a little weepy over it! I have noticed over the last week or so that she had been playing more rowdy and mock attacking but passed it off as that coming time of the year. Now I know she is playing harder and being more out-going and confident because she knows she isn't a rock anymore! I am not posting this to start a wing clip debate, I am not saying I will never give her a light clip but she will never have that severe type of clip again that is for certain. I also know that she is now going to get some real flight training around the house so I can trim some more weight off as well as get her to build those muscles back up.

The other big great change with her is the amount of fresh foods she will now happily consume there are days that she cleans her bowl like an eclectus!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
YAYYYY!!! Fly, Brady....FLY! :D

Oh Laura, I can just picture it! I can also imagine the joy you must have felt to finally see her take flight without plopping down like a rock. :)

Good for BOTH of you! This is such a sweet love story! :smile015:

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Sounds like that was a great moment for you both! Glad she is doing well and getting her confidence back! :D

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Yay! What happy news! It must be so joyful to see her in flight! Do you have pictures of her?

Yes if you look in this section (amazon) you will see another thread about me and Brady hanging out that one has pics.:)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
This thread is useless without PICS!!! :)

J/K but I would love to see her...again.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yeah Brady. You go big bird.

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Great news! As for the weight, healthy bird is a energetic lively little busy bullet around the house. At least in my house!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
That's great! Go Brady!

Most Reactions

Latest posts