Breakthrough Today!!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
So after five days of awkwardness, we finally got a little closer to Knuckles today!

Wingnut & Loki had their vet visit today, (an entire other story) so when we got back, we placed them in our room on their 'areas', to chill out. My mom purchased these security gates, so we can have the birds out in the house, without fear of them coming into contact with the dogs, so we put them up, and tried to coax Knucky out. (This morning, for play time, I actually had to bring her ENTIRE cage out into the main room, because she wouldn't come out!)

Well, this evening, with a PVC perch on the dining room table, she sat with us for about two hours, and went from a nervous, startling bird, to being at ease, and quite relaxed! I could pet her entire body, and instead of just allowing me to touch her, she actually relaxed and enjoyed it!!! She leaned her head into my hand, and closed her eyes. I feel so much better now, knowing that we can connect with her :) She sat, had snap peas, and a few crackers, and she stretched and preened, and it was just great.

One day at a time :)

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I think once she learns to trust you, and that you are a "safe place" she will come out willingly to be with you. Of course, it could also be a case of her just needing to get used to the environment...but I think it's great that you were able to take her out for some bonding (and without traumatizing her, too!). Now that she's seen you are a friend, just take things at her pace and she'll come around.

Sakura was not as fearful as Knuckles at first, but she was definitely a little unsure of things. She was reluctant to step up and come out of her cage, even though once out on her play stand she enjoyed herself. After two weeks of spending time with her, she now trusts me completely and can't wait to come out of the cage when I offer my arm.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
With all the love you show Miss Knuckles, I knew it would only be a matter of time! Uhm... isn't it about that time for a photo update? Just saying! Lol

Most Reactions