Breeder uses single wing clip open to debate

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Let's be honest the single clip would be a hold-over from a by-gone age where that was believed to be safe, and they simply haven't learned the newer ways because they think it's either "new age rubbish" or simply because, it's worked so far. The explanations are often simpler than you would believe and she's probably more stubborn on this because there are people out there who would get a parrot and immediately demand money beck because 'their beak is funny' and such

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Without getting into the debate, I just thought it might help to leave these here for reading....

Should you clip your parrot

Ethical, Moral & Spiritual Considerations of Companion Parrot Care (end page 3 to page 4)

https://theparrotuniversity.com/flight

So sorry about poor Fergus... :( Hopefully doing better with a new set of wings now!

Thank you MonicaMC excellent reading! I appreciate you sharing this!! My baby had been severly clipped before before I got him, I was upset. When I confronted the breeder she said the birds are her income and she wasn't taking any chances they might get out. (She had a small child)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'm in no way defending the practice of single wing clips. However it was practiced at a time when we parrot owners didnt want parrots flying around in the house. Wanted then on a perch or in a cage and not escaping. Brutal as the single wing clip was it was effective because birds had no control and would soon not attempt flight at all. Yes it's a practice many years ago but then that's what we as customer's wanted.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Just to put it in a verrrrrry general setting:

Not being able to move symmetrical (and develop both sets of large muscles evenly) will cause spine deformities fast - so why do you want your still growing babies deformed?

That is not only cruel, but also bad business -> do you want to be known as the person who deliberately causes deformations in birds and sells them broken?

Any clip that causes bird to break or fracture a keel/bones/beak is way too severe -- it is simple physics.
Also a no-brainer I would think (and also animal cruelty: to restrict an animal in such a way it causes self-harm).

Cliiping birds wings while still verry young is already proven to be a bad move - it stunts their development (physical and psycological).
They can be just as easily tamed while fully flighted - there is plenty of information out there how to do so; this is no longer "a trade secret" or something "only for professionals".

So it is complete unnecessery and detrimental to their health (short term and long term)
Clipping one wing is bad as throws off balance and bird end up dropping like a rock like my female cockatiel use to. I don't get why people do this? I had to put her in smaller cage till she started molting again. So she won't injure herself falling down constantly like she used to.

Last edited:

Most Reactions