Breeding

Olivercherry

May 21, 2014
Media
Smithtown new york
Parrots
Male and female
Hello it's my first post new to the site, I need help I have a male and female eclectus parrots the female was left at my door step no feathers they fell in love and feed each other ! I had her back to feathers growing but she started to lay eggs but won't mate he feeds her all day long I took the nest away and she was dropping them from the perch he humps the perch I need guidance

Jill

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Hello, and welcome! So you DON'T want them breeding, correct?
Can you put them in separate cages, but next to each other? Just to prevent the mating.
How many has she laid? Make sure she's getting plenty of calcium in her diet so she stays healthy. Cuttlebone and crushed egg shell is good. :)
Glad to hear the female is getting better. Sounds like she's had a rough journey!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Females can and will lay eggs that are not fertile. Sometimes even a single female will lay eggs if she really wants to. How's her diet? Egg laying takes allot out of a girl!
You can give then both cardboard boxes(without tape of course) packed with paper/a few treats, and make a small hole in one side so they can start chewing and shredding. Once it's destroyed, replace it! It keeps their minds and bodies busy.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to get a female to stop laying once she's started. :/ hopefully she doesn't get carried away and deplete all her calcium.

OP
O

Olivercherry

May 21, 2014
Media
Smithtown new york
Parrots
Male and female
Brand new

Hi I'm just starting out on this site I need help with my female eclectus laying eggs but won't mate with male , but he. Feeds her like a baby all day long? I'm confused

Jill

Trueeast

Mar 7, 2014
NH
Parrots
Gandalf-Female Timneh African Grey

Obie- Goffin Cockatoo
Are you leaving the eggs with her or removing them?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
First question, are you wanting them to breed? Do you know how old they are? Especially the male, do you know if he is younger than the female, how long have you had him?
How long ago was the female left on your doorstep? Do you know if they are the same sub-species? Can you post pictures?

Eclectus can be very prolific and once the egg laying starts it's hard to stop, you are better off letting her sit the eggs even if they are not fertile, removing them makes her think they were taken by a predator and she will continue to lay which is going to be hard on her and deplete her calcium reserves.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Eclectus are known to not do well in breeding situations where they either don't mate or don't have special interest in one another. There's not much you can do to help with the situation unless a breeder with multiple eclectus where they can switch them up, they do better in a aviary situation. Some will breed fine, it just depends on each individual bird.

Most Reactions