Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I do that with my bird and now she loves to do that on her own (feels great in the summer- my personal fan lol), but I can't get her to fly. I'm taking her to free flight training next summer, but every time i read an experience from the class it seems that their birds are out an d about flying about before they go, so I was hoping you had a way you motivated your birds to fly. My bird is lazy.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I have an older hen zon(41 yr) she's has been pretty much flighted for the last couple of years. I only clip 2 flights on each side. She's been over weight much of her life so i've changed her diet and encourage exercise (flying). She doesn't like to fly, or rarely does. I've tried getting her to jump to me, increasing the distance to encourage flight. The only success i've had is interacting with her and quickly leaving the room ,sometimes she will fly into the other room to catch up with me ,but only 10% of the time. I've had better luck outside (away for her comfort zones,perch,cage,house,etc.) I put her somewhere and walk a short distance away. This works better (maybe 25-30%) I don't recommend taking your bird outside, but try somewhere strange to her. It's a work in progress and will take time (for us anyway). Hope that helps. PS something else,she's jealous of me petting the dogs ,so if i pay attention to the dogs ,she's more apt to fly to me.

Last edited:

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
my bird is a bit jealous pf other animals, but she juswt starts to squeak and pace. we try flying outside, but as soon as she lands she pants and just sits there an dit takes 5 minutes for her to walk over 5 ft to me. she is lazy and just has no desire lol, but maybe if i do another part of the house she ahsnt been in that might help than all the distractions outside. She rarely flies except to get to her perch and the whole increasing distance thing doesn't work- she is way too smart. lol When i moved not too long ago she would fly up a flight of stairs to me if I ignored her all day.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
And here it is, a happy Birdy at the park (in High Def)!

Birdy at the Park
His wings arent clipped, your not worried about him flying away?

Birdy won't fly unless something scares him.
There isn't much that does scare him... particularly at a relaxing park! :D
It all comes down to knowing how he'll behave in a given situation.

Here he is on his favorite bench. Take a good look at his body language - especially when he waves at me to give him a treat!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er2VxF7Cyi8"]Birdy waiting for the Tram. - YouTube[/ame]

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Birdy won't fly unless something scares him.
There isn't much that does scare him... particularly at a relaxing park! :D
It all comes down to knowing how he'll behave in a given situation.

Here he is on his favorite bench. Take a good look at his body language - especially when he waves at me to give him a treat!
Birdy waiting for the Tram. - YouTube

That's incredible! I'm surprised he's not daunted by the cars at all.

bumblebec

Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Lola the Sun Conure & Mimi the Nanday Conure
I love taking my conures out and about! I take Lola and Mimi out together, but they have an aviator harness each. I love taking them to the park and beach with the family, they love it. Lola is usually too shy to leave my shoulder but Mimi loves checking everything out, hanging off trees, digging in sand etc. I'll have to upload some pics later. :)

I understand how much some owners trust their birds and take them out without a harness, but it's other people and animals I don't trust enough to ever do that... Even the most well trained and confident bird can get spooked, it's just not worth it to go outside without a harness, to me... Especially when birds look so dang cute in a harness, why risk it? :09:

Last edited:

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Here's Birdy taking a trip on the Tram.

I don't advise anyone else try this with their fids - It takes a lot of time and regular outings to get to this stage of trust.
This is the way Birdy has been brought up; to have an adventure with me!
Whenever I have to leave him in his cage, he doesn't call me to 'Come back', he calls 'Take me with you!'
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8YF4ppq1aM"]Birdy catches the Tram - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus 'Scarlet'
@Katherine

I finally found the pic! This is the only one I could find (I have waaaayyyy too many pics on my computer lol). This was right next to the crazy fish throwing place last may:

dsc02072x.jpg

Most Reactions