Broken blood feather! What should I do?

Itsohkai

Jan 31, 2014
Parrots
Blaze ~ Sun Conure
Last night as I was cuddling with Blaze, I rubbed my thumb over one of her wings and felt something hard. I parted the feathers gently and was shocked to see a bit of blood on her. When I tried to stretch her wing out to get a better look, she instantly pulled it back with a squawk so I was worried she might have broken a bone or something. I kept talking to her to calm her down again, trying to get a look at where the blood was coming from. Now, when I first discovered it, the blood had already dried. She finally let me inspect it after a few moments. I believe it's a blood feather because it seems like the shaft was just snapped, and it's still connected to her skin. I can post pictures if anyone needs to see. To help prevent extra bleeding, I put some of the styptic powder on the end, but I know that's not going to deal with the problem.

It honestly terrifies me because now I'm afraid that something worse will happen while I can't watch her. I can't say for sure what was the exact cause. She will sometimes tumble off the top perch in her cage or slip when she's eating, but she always gets up afterwards and shakes it off. Granted, it sometimes brings me running to check on her so I feel like she does it on purpose every so often for attention. I can't say for certain if she's had a night fright, but I'll be preparing to limit the chances of that just in case. Ultimately, it may have happened when I was away at school, but I'm grateful I didn't come home to find her dead.

What should I do? I've been reading a few articles that explain how to pull a blood feather yourself, and the only reason I've considered this is because I can't afford veterinary treatment until the week after next. I won't be able to pay for it all myself so my boyfriend has agreed to help, but he was paid this Monday and put most of it towards bills. I'm afraid to leave the feather and have it somehow cause her more pain, but I'm afraid to take the situation into my own hands and take a chance of making it worse.

If anyone can give me any advice on what to do until I can see a vet, it'd be greatly appreciated!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Pull it is the best thing you can do! If you can't find out which one or unable to pull it then put corn starch or flour on it to stop the bleeding. NO bath for awhile!!!!!

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
If you cant get to a vet ASAP try this. You will need someone to help you towel the bird to protect it and you. Try to locate the broken blood feather and with a pair of strong tweezers or needle nose pliers grasp the broken blood feather as close to the shaft near the bird as possible and working quickly pull the blood feather out. Try to do it in one motion and not slowly as to traumatize the bird. Once you have the broken blood feather out apply a little corn starch or styptic powder to the open area. You might also want to take some clean (sterile) gauze and apply some pressure for a few minutes to make sure there is no further bleeding. Then try to get the bird to a avian vet as soon as you can for follow up to make sure there are no further complications and that the bird is doing ok. Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
A blood feather acts as a straw you are right to worry if you leave it. If that blood clot on the broken blood feather breaks a bird can bleed out. Pulling a blood feather seems a lot worse than it is. I have had to do it on a breeding macaw years ago helping a breeder friend of mine. Two person job for sure but it is important to do it quick.

I have always used cornstarch when it is on skin because I've heard the quick stop for nails can burn the skin and never wanted to take that risk. Once a blood feather is pulled the blood supply quickly closes. This is not something I would rush to a vet for unless it happen in the night and I was worried over too much blood loss but it really comes down to what you are comfortable doing.

andielane87

Mar 3, 2014
NC
Parrots
Bubba (budgie)
Mango (budgie)
Banjo (GCC)
You'll have to pull it. It's the best thing to do. I've had to do it 3-4 times on my parakeets now since they're clumsy and tend to freak easily. My little Bubba was my bf's first experience with a broken blood feather and he was freaking out, pacing back and forth and not knowing what to do to help the little guy, I wrapped him in a towel, turned him upside down, stretched out his wing and in a taught quick pull all was better.... Then I applied cornstarch and done. Happy non-bleeding parakeet.
Then a week later I had to do it on Mango, with him I felt so sad because he squeaked and nuzzled into my hand because of his broken feather (not a tame bird!) so I did the same to him.... It's like a hurt kid, you know washing a wound hurts them more but it's for the better.

Good luck!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Itsohkai, if the feather is currently not bleeding, then just leave it be!

You shouldn't need to pull it unless you can't get the feather to stop bleeding within a certain time frame (say 15+ minutes). If it's already stopped bleeding, then just leave it be! It'll either grow out as normally as it can or Blaze may take care of it on his own.

When we keep a parrots wings clipped, it gives for a higher chance of breaking blood feathers because there are no supporting feathers to help the new feather grow out and to protect it from damage. Of course, if a bird has their full flights, then it could be just due to clumsiness or a fright and banging the wing around too hard.

OP
Itsohkai

Itsohkai

Jan 31, 2014
Parrots
Blaze ~ Sun Conure
Update: I can't seem to find the broken feather anymore, and I don't see anymore blood so I'm taking that as a good sign. I've been finding a few hard bumps along Blaze's skin however. Since she's molting, these should just been new pin feathers ready to come in, right? She's been real sensitive lately and tends to nip more. I can only imagine what that must feel like. Ouch!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Those could be new feathers underneath the skin. Keep an eye on them if you can.

Most Reactions