Broken fertile cockatiel egg

angeliicrose

Nov 2, 2020
Hi all, I breed cockatiels and this egg has been pipping for 3+ days, i went to go put a small hole in the egg to try and help him and my dog knocked me and ended up cracking the egg, is there anything i can do to save him?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 21

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It doesnā€™t look like the blood vessels have dried up all the way. Donā€™t remove the bottom of the shell or the chick could bleed to death. Keep it warm. If its lungs are developed enough it might survive. However, if itā€™s been pipped for three days there is always a concern that there is some issue with the chick that is causing it to have trouble hatching. Sorry I canā€™t be of more help. I hope this little one makes it. Keep us posted ā¤ļø.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
How many days is the egg supposed to be at?
If it has been pipped it's likely developed enough, but the big issue right now is I believe I see an unabsorbed yolk. You need to prevent that being broken, which means you may need to keep the baby away from the parents. Keep it warm and let it safely absorb that yolk. One thing I just read about unabsorbed yolk in chicken chicks suggested leaving them in the bottom half of the egg to keep it protected.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If it has been pipped it's likely developed enough, but the big issue right now is I believe I see an unabsorbed yolk. You need to prevent that being broken, which means you may need to keep the baby away from the parents. Keep it warm and let it safely absorb that yolk. One thing I just read about unabsorbed yolk in chicken chicks suggested leaving them in the bottom hwaralf of the egg to keep it protected.
Keep it warm (98+) while the chick finishes using the yolk. You should have an incubator handy if you breed birds. Only about $50 in Amazon.

OP
A

angeliicrose

Nov 2, 2020
If it has been pipped it's likely developed enough, but the big issue right now is I believe I see an unabsorbed yolk. You need to prevent that being broken, which means you may need to keep the baby away from the parents. Keep it warm and let it safely absorb that yolk. One thing I just read about unabsorbed yolk in chicken chicks suggested leaving them in the bottom half of the egg to keep it protected.
Keep it warm (98+) while the chick finishes using the yolk. You should have an incubator handy if you breed birds. Only about $50 in Amazon.

I am unsure about how many days it should be at but as i said, it has been pipping for about 3-4 days (since i last checked on it) and there was no change in shell cracks. Iā€™ve put it in a small shot glass in a brooder box with the shell still attached, wet paper towel underneath it and plastic over the top to retain some of that moisture. Itā€™s been almost 12 hours and the majority of the egg yolk seems to have been absorbed.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I am unsure about how many days it should be at but as i said, it has been pipping for about 3-4 days (since i last checked on it) and there was no change in shell cracks. Iā€™ve put it in a small shot glass in a brooder box with the shell still attached, wet paper towel underneath it and plastic over the top to retain some of that moisture. Itā€™s been almost 12 hours and the majority of the egg yolk seems to have been absorbed.
Is the broader warm enough? If so, the baby bird should be out of its shell soon.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Is the broader warm enough? If so, the baby bird should be out of its shell soon.
If the baby is normal it will be okay. If not it won't survive but it won't be your fault so just relax and let what is meant to be happen. Can the parents feed the chick if it survives? Are you prepared to hand feed it?

OP
A

angeliicrose

Nov 2, 2020
If the baby is normal it will be okay. If not it won't survive but it won't be your fault so just relax and let what is meant to be happen. Can the parents feed the chick if it survives? Are you prepared to hand feed it?

Just wanted to update: baby is out of its shell and has been hand fed today. it seems to be doing well so iā€™m hopeful, thank you for all the helpšŸ™šŸ»

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Yay!!! Thatā€™s so good to hear! Well done, bird mama šŸ™‚. Hope all goes well from here. ā¤ļø

Most Reactions