Broody Kakarikis! What to do?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oh dear.. So my RF BEC and YC normal Kakariki pairs are breeding for the first time - YAY! And I have a spare RF BEC hen (Bou) and YC normal hen sharing an aviary.. They are the best of buds and now the YC girl is broody laying eggs, and spending all of her time in the nestbox (they have it for shelter) and Bou keeps bringing her food. Boy is that YC girl going to be disappointed when they don't hatch! Lol

I am getting 2 more males for these girls..but I feel so bad thinking about separating the girls... I could put justt 1 male with them,only problem is half the babies will by hybrids.. And I'm trying to breed pure Kakariki species due to their very low numbers in the wild (the YC-Yellow Crowned) are currently bordering on becoming endangered.

I don't know what to do! Ideas?

Edit: OH and I found out something great! The breeder i get all my breeding stock from is one of the few people in the whole of Australia whose original stock was pure, directly from New Zealand! And he never has and never will 'contaminate' the purity of the species if he can help it.. So my Kakarikis are one of if not THE most purest Kaks in Australia! :D *squeee*

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Why don't you remove the nest box? I never give parrots nest boxes until I'M ready for them to breed.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
I could but then they'd have no shelter.. A few months ago I gave the Kaks just a small cardboard box for extra shelter - they love boxes..and they laid eggs in it.. They will lay in any sort of box) We live on the coast and get very chilly sea-breezes in all directions, so half the time we have rain and wind going almost completely horizontal into the aviaries. Also i was supposed to get the males weeks ago (so figured the nestbox was fine to keep in there) but a family member hasn't been able to pick them up for me/won't until next week.

My main concern is that I don't want to separate those two hens because they are such good buddies and I'd feel mean separating them from each other...especially if they develop bad stress-induced habits. But I need them for breeding to produce more/new bloodlines for future breeding stock and pets..

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Have you tried using "roost boxes"?? Similar to nest box but without a floor. No entrance hole but has perches inside for roosting. Common in large flight pens where they want to discourage breeding /egg laying but still provide shelter.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oddly enough I haven't heard of those until now..so no I haven't! But that is a great idea.. I'll have to try it. Thank you :D

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Well after getting updates on Kakariki status etc I've decided the hens MUST be split up and paired with males. I have a new project: to breed red crowned normals and BECs, and yellow crowned normals and especially BECs. Both species are now endangered and apparently most of captive kaks are hybridized.. So my kaks are very special and i have taken it upon myself to keep them as pure as possible. Oh and yellow crowned BECs are now very rare and dear.. I must stock up on those from our breeder, Jerry.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Ha..haha... Loki wants to use the money from the Kaks to get me my B+G Macaw this year or next year... I think HE also wants a Macaw around. No way will that happen unless he's willing to share the responsibilities..but even so... A macaw with 1 year old and 3 year old children: ok. Plenty of ways to avoid 'accidents'... but with a Newborn baby? I'd hardly have enough time for the poor Macaw. I REALLY do have to wait til he's at least 1 year old.

My husband is getting a little too into birds now O.O ..and he stated that he must have a Kakariki Army... *head drops into my hand* What have I created!? lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts