Budgie Benny needs your help

OP
B

bennythebudgie

Nov 8, 2017
It’s possible that the diarrhea is caused by the antibiotic. They caused my bird to have diarrhea, too, when he had to take them. Antibiotics can be hard in a bird’s body. They can cause damage to the kidneys and to the liver. Antibiotics are very specific - they don’t work against viruses at all, and they only work against some kinds of bacteria. That’s why the good vets take samples, for example of poop or swabs inside the beak, to see if there are bacteria and what kind of bacteria before prescribing any antibiotics. They want to be sure the drugs will have enough benefits to outweigh the risks.

If it were me, I would stop giving the antibiotics. You don’t know that he has a bacterial infection, because the vet didn’t do any tests. The diarrhea could be caused by the medicine. I would stop giving it. I would take Benny out of the cage and put him somewhere warm, then take his cage to another room and clean it very well, then disinfect it with a bleach solution. I would wash all his toys, perch, and water/food dishes with bleach as well. Just a few tablespoons of bleach in a quart of water is enough. I would make sure everything was absolutely dry, and the bleach smell all aired out, then put in clean cage paper, water and food before letting Benny back in. Be sure to throw away any uneaten food in the dish and give fresh.

This way, if Benny has been sick, the old bacteria in the cage will be killed so he doesn’t re-infect himself. Bleach also kills viruses. After that, begin a very strict cleaning method: wash the water and food dishes every day. You can soak them in a solution of half vinegar, half water for ten minutes or so after washing them. Change the cage paper every day. Think of yourself as the doctor and nurse, and the cage as the hospital, and Benny is the patient. You have to trust your eyes. You might know better than the vet, who didn’t even see Benny or make any tests, because you have him in front of you. You can see if giving him something has a bad effect or a good one. It’s very hard to help sick birds. Birds hide their illness, so they can be very sick and look fine, their little bodies are so delicate, and they are so sensitive to drugs and to toxins.

For now don’t give any fresh food or leaves. Benny needs the calories in the seeds. Hopefully the diarrhea will stop. Wait a week before giving fresh foods. Wash all produce before giving it to Benny. Wash lettuce thoroughly under running water, spin it dry just like for a human salad. Same for veggies: they should be washed and scrubbed first, and let drain dry in a clean towel.

It warms my heart to see you taking such good care of Benny. Just because a bird has a tiny body doesn’t make it less precious. I think the little birds are miraculously beautiful with their tiny fathers and feet and eyes. Such works of art! I hope he recovers and that you will keep us entertained with Benny the Budgie stories for many years to come.

Dear Kentuckienne,
Firstly thank you!
During the day the droppings started to form normally again, now it's something in between. Benny is just like yesterday, sleeping most of the time, eating less, but still eating.
I believe that antibiotics are helping, or at least were. They are diluted in water, which he did not drink during the night, maybe that's the reason why this morning diarrhea was back.
I actually have a medical degree, but it doesn't help me much when it comes to birds, but I do understand how antibiotics work and that this was just a try, and I hoped that it was bacterial. General vet prescribed them, yes, without examining the bird, I understand it is so bad, but I didn't have any other option and couldn't just watch him like that, had to try.
I am so strict about cleaning his cage, changing everything regularly. Benny is really taking care of, and I'm so mad that this is happening.

And thank you all for understanding and kind words, I am so mad on my surrounding, they behave like "it's just a bird". My heart is breaking watching him like this. Today I managed to find a vet on veterinary faculty here, he's not actually avian vet, but knows alot about it, and hopefully I will make him do clinical examination, lab.test, everything necessary to help little Benny. We are going there first thing in the morning.

:confused: Do you have any tips how to transport Benny there, tomorrow it will be 5 Celsius degrees outside here, I'm afraid that covering his cage won't be enough, we will make car warm, but again I'm worried, since right now he is in really warm room, like recommended.

OP
B

bennythebudgie

Nov 8, 2017
Would you put up what you actually feed your little Benny please? Also do you weigh him, just use kitchen scales and keep a note.

If you can find any of this https://www.johnsons-vet.com/products/large/_vit_min_drops.jpg It provides essential daily multi-vitamin supplement, promotes & maintains good health & resistance to ailments in all cage . Particularly beneficial for poor condition or recovering from illness. A dropper can be used to administer. I used to administer this to mine 'back in the dark ages' and he used to be back to his normal self after.

If not this then look for something similar but for 'caged '.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetark-Pro...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DEXK6CDJ5YAXEF8GS13V

Benny is eating mix of seeds (Composition: cereals (Japanese Miles), seed, minerals, eggs and egg derivatives, vegetable protein extracts). But I can tell he is eating mostly Millet, skipping rest.
Should I try with something else?

For vitamins, we don't have same like that, but few days ago I but our version here, vitamins and amino acids for birds.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
It was long time ago but I stopped giving my budgie millet sprays as it appeared he was unwell after having some each time. The cause I have no idea. See if you can the little one to eat a selection of very finely chopped veggies

Average weight range is 25-36g, important to not let them become overweight.

FYI http://www.birds-online.de/gesundheit/gesinfektion/durchfall_en.htm

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Regarding the transport and vet visit: I have no first-hand experience with Budgies but have the impression they don't always tolerate veterinary handling. Myth or fact? Can anyone give guidance for Benny's benefit? I understand the need for medical care is a risk/reward situation.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Sorry to be so late responding ... was called away ... how did it go?

Forgive me for putting lots of basic medical information in your thread - you obviously know a great deal about it all - but without knowing your background, I figured I'd go a little overboard. People do search out old posts, and someone may benefit from your experience.

I meant to ask you about Benny's cage - is that a photo background behind it? It makes the cage seem much nicer, and what I can see of the cage looks very well kept. I can tell you love Benny, and it's heartwarming to see. You asked about traveling in the cold, and probably you have already done it, but I think it's OK. Their feathers do provide quite a bit of insulation. We used to transport our Amazon in the winter. Sometimes would go run the car a bit to warm it up before taking him out and sometimes not. Benny could ride in a smaller box, which would insulate him, and you might even put a hot-water bottle or bag of microwave-heated rice or beans under it for extra warmth.

Also, there are some vets who will consult via Skype, though some of them want you to have a vet where you are. One such person is a vet out of New Zealand who has some good youtube videos about parrot care. One of them is here:
[ame="https://youtu.be/16ZIJHdjO8E"]https://youtu.be/16ZIJHdjO8E[/ame]

There's also some very well regarded practices here in the US ... if you need help finding someone, I can do more searching. The Medical Center for Birds in northern California also seems pretty internet-connected. Their website:
The Medical Center for Birds - Oakley, CA -

I hope that Benny has continued to improve. Will you give us an update?

OP
B

bennythebudgie

Nov 8, 2017
Sorry for not posting anything yesterday, at first it was such a good day that turned out into terrible one.
In the morning Benny seemed a little bit better, he even went outside his cage shortly, but diarrhea was still there. We packed up and went to the vet. (dear Kentuckienne I did that with the bottle and rice in socks :)) found it on some post from before).
At vet againg, no clinical examination, no test labs, prescibed with new antibiotic (just said that previous one is not for diarrhea) and vitamins (C and B).
!!! 2 hours after administratin of new antibiotic (vet didn't tell me which one and with all questions I was asking I forgot to ask wich one is this time) and vitamins - Benny had some kind of seizure, firstly vomiting started, then contractioning of his wings, eyes. Then contraction of left wing continued, and he lost sensibility and motor function in his left leg. He was dragging his legs, couldn't use it. And then every 2-3 minutes apart he was whining(yelping) and turning his head on right side. It was so painful to watch that, I can't imagine what pain he was going through. I assume that could be reaction on medications. I was holding little one, cuddling him, we waited for seizures to pass. Later in night, after almost 5 hours, is stopped, he was so exhausted, fell asleep. During the night I was giving him water ang food but he didn't take it, at 4 am I finally mannaged to feed little Benny. I stopped giving him medications that second vet prescribed. Now he is only on his seeds and water. Today I should give him his old vitamins and electrolites probably. No antibiotics for Benny anymore. Today Benny is better, seizures stopped, luckily he is still eating (but les than usual) and drinking water. And today his leg seems a bit better, not like last night, now he can use it. He is again sleeping most of the time. And we still have a problem with a diarrhea, actully after reading link that plumsmum2005 provided, it seems it's "wet dropping“, now I'm really worried it that it could be Benny's kidneys, and with no an avian vet here.. I relly don't know what to do anymore.
Kentuckienne, I contacted The Medical Center for Birds - Oakley, CA -, sent them email, hopefully they will reply. If you know any avian vet who is willing to do consult with me on Skype, pls let me know. I am willing to pay it online.
About Benny's cage – it is a photo in background :) I wanted him to feel a bit like there are trees in out room, it looks like he loves it :)

Any thoughts on Benny's seizure?

OP
B

bennythebudgie

Nov 8, 2017
Someone advised me to give Benny a bit of Activated charcoal, if it might be toxins causing diarrhea. After seeing him seizing yesterday, I'm so scared to give him anything. Any thoughts on that?
I'm afraid if I don't do anything at this point, Benny might not survive.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
At this point I would not be comfortable with administering meds by random without avian vet guidance. Vet clinics stock a wide variety of therapies, but some are not appropriate to birds. Benny seems quite resilient but time is so critical with any bird, particularly those who have enduring illness.

Searched the internet and found a few possibilities. Please keep in mind I have no first-hand experience or affiliation with the following:

Appointments, consultations, phone, skype, iChat, e-mail - Budgie Health

Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Oh! Oh! How horrible! Poor Benny! I wonder if the vet gave the wrong dose of medicine - it happens. So good he recovered from that. He is a fighter! You're going to have to change his name to Benny the Battle Budgie. The clinic in California might be closed today. I sent them a message through their facebook page, and they responded right away. I think they might be monitoring it at the desk.

Some people here wrote about something called "Aloe Detox" which is an aloe vera extract /liquid you put in the water. They report an almost miraculous recovery of birds with liver trouble. I have NO idea if it works or not, or if it is even available. I know that milk thistle tea/extract is given to humans for liver toxicity, even mushroom poisoning, and maybe that is available.

I almost think you are doing best by keeping him comfortable and letting him fight the problem with his own body. If the vet doesn't know how to treat him, they may do more harm than good, and at least his little body knows what to do. The water with electrolytes, whatever food he will eat, maybe there is a special treat food he will eat, you are doing everything right. Maybe it is up to Benny. Go Benny! Get well, buddy.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
This is heartbreaking, I’m so sorry. Praying he gets better and it all gets figured out. :heart:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Someone advised me to give Benny a bit of Activated charcoal, if it might be toxins causing diarrhea. After seeing him seizing yesterday, I'm so scared to give him anything. Any thoughts on that?
I'm afraid if I don't do anything at this point, Benny might not survive.

Important: PLEASE READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH IN THE LINK I PUT UP.

Sending healing thoughts little Benny's way. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts