Budgie has a problem!!!!

zebazto10q

Jul 18, 2018
My budgie has been puffed up and pretty lethargic. I assumed it was because it was hot lately and just stayed in the cool areas inside and outside his cage like its cage mate. But today he's acting weird. He has his head tilted to the side, his feet spread out, and can barely walk or fly properly. He's at the bottom of the cage and hasn't eaten. I put seeds nect to him layed out but couldn't aim and pick them. Please help.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Hi there!

It sounds quite concerning. Normally birds hide their symptoms very well, so the fact that it's quite obvious could mean it's potentially very serious, especially if he's not moving well and not eating.

Do you have a certified avian vet you can bring him to? If you're ok with sharing your general location, we might be able to help you find one.

OP
Z

zebazto10q

Jul 18, 2018
Hi there!

It sounds quite concerning. Normally birds hide their symptoms very well, so the fact that it's quite obvious could mean it's potentially very serious, especially if he's not moving well and not eating.

Do you have a certified avian vet you can bring him to? If you're ok with sharing your general location, we might be able to help you find one.
I'll try to take him to the vet. Is their anything else that I can do for now in the mean time?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
If you haven't already done that: offer him his food by hand so at least he can feed himself - they run out of energy fast with their high metabolism.

*wishing you the best and hope the vet can be reached*

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Certified Avian Vet, ASAP. Dont cheap out on this. By the time they are showing symptoms of distress, they are very hurting birds.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
The only way your bird will get better is if he is taken to a vet to get medical attention. Lethargy, loss of appetite, unusual behavior are all signs of a very sick bird, and if you wait too long, your bird may not make it. Please get him to a vet.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I join others in grave concern. I am very frightened for your bird. Good luck to you in helping him... soon.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
You've got an extremely sick Budgie, by the time they are at this stage where they are lethargic, fluffed, and at the bottom of the cage, they have been sick for quite a while, and are at the end-stages of such..without the help of a Certified Avian Vet immediately, he's not got long left. I don't mean to scare you or be forward...well, yes I do because it's that serious....Budgies are so good at hiding illness for such a long time that by the time we see outward signs of them being sick, it's often too late. So if you haven't yet gotten him to a CAV, you need to do it right now, or to an emergency Exotic's hospital right now, whichever, as he's not got long...

Keep him warm (they are from Australia, they don't mind heat and he needs to be kept very warm while he's ill) and offer him lots of water and food if he'll eat it, but I doubt it at this point...If you know how and you have an oral syringe or any type of plastic syringe without the needle on it, obviously, you can dissolve some sugar in water and try to get him to accept that from the syringe, but do not try to force it into his mouth, you could end up aspirating him. Just try to drip it on his beak for him to lick off, he needs the fluids and the sugar right now...

OP
Z

zebazto10q

Jul 18, 2018
You've got an extremely sick Budgie, by the time they are at this stage where they are lethargic, fluffed, and at the bottom of the cage, they have been sick for quite a while, and are at the end-stages of such..without the help of a Certified Avian Vet immediately, he's not got long left. I don't mean to scare you or be forward...well, yes I do because it's that serious....Budgies are so good at hiding illness for such a long time that by the time we see outward signs of them being sick, it's often too late. So if you haven't yet gotten him to a CAV, you need to do it right now, or to an emergency Exotic's hospital right now, whichever, as he's not got long...

Keep him warm (they are from Australia, they don't mind heat and he needs to be kept very warm while he's ill) and offer him lots of water and food if he'll eat it, but I doubt it at this point...If you know how and you have an oral syringe or any type of plastic syringe without the needle on it, obviously, you can dissolve some sugar in water and try to get him to accept that from the syringe, but do not try to force it into his mouth, you could end up aspirating him. Just try to drip it on his beak for him to lick off, he needs the fluids and the sugar right now...
I took him to the vet. They couldn't exactly pin point the reason why he got sick because I received him without knowing where he came from. The vet said that I'm extremely lucky if he stays alive till friday. All they gave me was antibiotics and told me to give him food and water in a seperate enclosure by hand.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would get to a vet ASAP---Some emergency vets can at least provide fluids etc until avian vet offices are open (some might say that is a risk of its own but...)

Just don't wait-- I don't want to be an alarmist, but birds hide their illness by nature, so if he is on his cage-bottom (something that would make him an easy target in the wild) then things are likely serious.

I hope everything works out!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm sorry for my post- I hadn't read your follow-up message.

I hope everything is okay. Try not to beat yourself up over things. You love your bird and you are doing everything you can- no matter the outcome. Wishing you the best!

OP
Z

zebazto10q

Jul 18, 2018
Thanks.
I'm sorry for my post- I hadn't read your follow-up message.

I hope everything is okay. Try not to beat yourself up over things. You love your bird and you are doing everything you can- no matter the outcome. Wishing you the best!

Most Reactions

Latest posts