Budgie may be sick. Help please

Tactix

Apr 22, 2020
Lebanon
Parrots
Budgie and Lovebird
Hello. I woke up today to my budgie vomiting. I think. He was stretching his mouth and shaking his head pretty violently. My sister said he vomited. He only did it once though. Then he started being real quiet and not moving around much, closing his eyes sometimes. I was told it could be a yeast infection. I put probiotics and a very little apple cider vinegar in his water but he hasn't really been drinking. Right now he has regained a considerable amount of energy, and is eating, playing, and making some noises, albeit infrequently and a little quieter than usual. His stool is green and solid. I would take him to the vet but because of this whole lock-down thing there are none, I don't know what to do :(

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Iā€™m sorry to hear your baby is unwell - whatā€™s his name by the way?

I would advise against putting anything in his water. Itā€™s impossible to tell how much he is ingesting and anything added to water may just end up fouling the water and encouraging bacterial growth, so plain fresh water is best.

You can try observing your budgieā€™s poop to get an idea of overall health, has there been a change in the colour or consistency of his droppings?

Understandably many people are having difficulty attending vet clinics these days but maybe some are still available by phone or email? Unfortunately none of us are vets and diagnosis over the internet is vague at best.

Hopefully some other members will be along soon with some more advice for you, and I wish you all the very best!

OP
T

Tactix

Apr 22, 2020
Lebanon
Parrots
Budgie and Lovebird
Hi. Thank you for the reply. His name is vivi :). As for the water i'll go ahead and change it out now. His droppings haven't really changed color or consistency from what I can tell. Unfortunately I live in a country and area where vets are hard to come across, let alone an avian vet. The only avian vet I have been able to contact in the past does not seem to be available now. As for my little boy he seems to be doing a lot better. Still sleepier than usual but he has largely returned to his daily activities.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Vivi, thanks for joining the forums.

Excellent advice above, I hope Vivi continues to regain energy and wellness.

Most Reactions

Latest posts