Budgie ovarian/kidney cancer and strange feather growths on head?

LMO

Jan 10, 2020
Nottingham, UK
Parrots
Jesse - Budgie (hatched 10/10/2013)

Bebe - Budgie (2010 - 31/01/2014)
Sadly my budgie has already passed away but I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on these new feather patterns she started growing when she had the tumour.

My budgie had hypertrophy of the cere for some years, suspect from excessive oestrogen. I then noticed lameness in her right leg, knowing what this probably meant she went to her avian vet and it was confirmed to be a tumour either kidney or ovarian. He said he couldn't operate because of her size and getting to the tumour so it was just palliative care.

While she had the tumour she started growing black tipped feathers on the crown of her head. They looked most like check feathers, it was so unusual. The crown of her head was pure white since she lost her juvenile barring and until this point. Photo on the left of her in her prime, photo on the right with the new feathers. Would this be linked to the cancer, hormonal changes, hormones produced by the tumour?

20160805_115935_Moment52.jpg
20200225_115656.jpg

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I am no vet so this is merely guesswork but your guesses sound like they're most likely the case. A tumor could easily cause hormonal changes that could revert some of their feathering back to adolescence. It's not unheard of in birds.

Reactions: LMO
OP
L

LMO

Jan 10, 2020
Nottingham, UK
Parrots
Jesse - Budgie (hatched 10/10/2013)

Bebe - Budgie (2010 - 31/01/2014)
I am no vet so this is merely guesswork but your guesses sound like they're most likely the case. A tumor could easily cause hormonal changes that could revert some of their feathering back to adolescence. It's not unheard of in birds.
Thank you

Most Reactions

Latest posts