Budgie shaking and hyperventilating after shower

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
Hello guys,

So Rambo my latest rescue budgie wich i own about 2 months now was really dirty like really dirty, at first i tried to let him shower by himself by putting a bowl with some leaves letucce in it but he refused, i tried to bring him in the shower with me he refused. So today i decided to wash him myself with water on room temperature he bit me very hard during this and after the shower he started shaking and hyperventilating, did i made a BİG BİG mistake?:confused:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes this was likely a mistake.

A better solution would be to get a spray bottle and fill this with water and spray him inside the cage. He may get somewhat annoyed but its better then handling him when he doesn't want to be man-handled and causing even more stress. This way there is no touching him, not getting him out of the cage and he will remain safe.

OP
Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
i forgot to mention i did try to spray him however his poop would still be stuck on his feathers etc but im defo gonna spray him in the future thanks.

Brownhead

Nov 6, 2018
Parrots
Brown headed parrot and two budgies.
My budgies don't like baths either. I keep offering water and splash it around they get interested but don't get in. I have done the spray bottle too but they think it's pure punishment. I offer millet after. My female does the whole shaking and hyperventilating too so i don't know what to do. I know they need to bath but should I just keep spraying?

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
My budgies have never shown any interest in bathing ever. The only time I have seen them enjoy it is with my current budgies in the aviary. The moment it starts to rain they are all on the mesh getting rained on. Even when it is only 3 or 4 degrees C outside.

You may find that they prefer dust baths over water as some of our Australian birds do. A shallow dish/tray of aquarium sand or children's play sand (These are usually much cleaner than other types) for them to mess around in will give you an idea. I have a sandy patch in my aviary for my quail and the budgies love it just as much as the quail.

In saying that parrots are quirky with very unique personalities so some may use water and some use sand or both or neither.

Most Reactions