Budgie very attached to his cage

xStatic

May 10, 2017
Media
Montana, USA
Parrots
Shiro the budgie
I like having my budgie out and about with me in the house but he tends to prefer to be in his cage and I'm having trouble getting him to stop flying back to his cage. If he catches a glimpse of it he nearly always takes off in the direction of the cage.

He's otherwise very well behaved. He willingly leaves to cage and comes onto my hand if I tempt him with a little millet, but once he's been out for a few minute he generally starts trying to get back to the cage. If I take him in a new room and close the door so he knows the cage is inaccessible he's much calmer and wont take off flying nearly as often.

Any tips? When I search this issue I see a lot of people who have trouble getting their birds to go back into the cage, but not a lot of people who have birds who prefer to stay in their cage.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
If you have another bird they like, you can use him/her to coax him out. I use my sun conure and pretend to 'fly' with him to a nearby tree stand. They usually follow. If you don't have another bird, maybe you can entice him with a spray of millet (used sparingly). Hang it on a tree stand and only ever on that tree stand. He'll associate the millet with it and hopefully give him another reason to go out of the cage. I'd put various perches and stands around the house so he always has a place to land.

I'd advise against closing him in another room with no access back to his cage. I think he might feel trapped and some birds might feel traumatized by this. At the end of the day, he should come out on his own time. Never forced, only encouraged. As long as he is happy :) Best of luck! Very cute budgie btw!

Last edited:

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
Same here with my two Budgies. Its totally understandable because the cage is their home and where a bird feels secure. Trick is to have a bird stand or other bird area that has things he would like. You can set up a table top with a nice stand toys and even food dishes and slowly get him used to those things.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Not sure if this is possible or not?
I take Plum on a real estate tour of my home so he knows all the rooms and now plods around like he owns the place (he does, but not admitting to him LOL).
My suggestion is if you can do this is take your budgie on a tour in his cage. Talk to him all the time tell him where you are etc etc. If he can gain a little familiarity with those other rooms it may make him braver?

Most Reactions

Latest posts