Budgie vs Parakeet

Cyrinaluna

Feb 27, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Parrots
1 cinnimon GCC - Lizzy
What's the difference between these two? I've tried to look it up online, but I've found conflicting answers. Just a question I've had on my mind lately.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
A Budgie is a type of parakeet. "Parakeet" is a general term used to describe Psittacine (parrot family) birds who have long tails.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Parakeet would win, unless there was a flock of budgies. But if the parakeet was trained in multi-attacker scenarios he could still win, unless the budgies were using samurai swords...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
My flock is made up of 7 parakeets. However, I have 4 different species of birds.

1 Mitred Conure
1 Red Throated Conure
4 Cockatiels
1 Bourke

Scientifically speaking, all are considered parakeets - although the cockatiels are actually cockatoos, being their cousins. They are far more closely related to cockatoos than any other species that could be considered a parakeet.

RavensGryf is correct, parakeet is just a general term to describe any small parrot species with a long tapering tail! And by that definition, some parakeets are larger than mini macaws! :D

Large conures and alexandrines are larger than the smallest mini macs and are still considered parakeets. However, the mini macs are not considered parakeets. Funny how that works out. ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts