Budgie with paralyzed? Right foot, and with poop stuck to the vent?

SuperMelee

Nov 17, 2023

IMG_20231117_192542_984.jpg

Hello! For around a week, my 5yo male budgie has been having these 2 problems i mentioned, the one that worry me the most is his right foot, it seems that he can't move it, doesnt seems to be hurt, just paralyzed? I went to a vet but she had no idea whats going on (she's not an avian vet) and just said to put vitamins on the water (i dont think it will help honestly). The closest avian vet to me is 3 hours away, and i only can go there next week, can someone help me find what could be the case and what i can do to help him? he's my oldest budgie i really love him a lot, and its frustating to see him in that state.
Screenshot_20231118-023522~2.png

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 56153
View attachment 56152

Hello! For around a week, my 5yo male budgie has been having these 2 problems i mentioned, the one that worry me the most is his right foot, it seems that he can't move it, doesnt seems to be hurt, just paralyzed? I went to a vet but she had no idea whats going on (she's not an avian vet) and just said to put vitamins on the water (i dont think it will help honestly). The closest avian vet to me is 3 hours away, and i only can go there next week, can someone help me find what could be the case and what i can do to help him? he's my oldest budgie i really love him a lot, and its frustating to see him in that state. View attachment 56154
So sad, I agree. It doesn't look good for him. Birds are very clean animals and when they can't, or won't bother to even keep their feathers free of feces the bird is generally very weak and sick. Can you handle him? If so, you should try to gently clean the poop off the feathers and especially the vent with a warm, damp cloth (no soap). Don't pull on the feathers. Hold the warm cloth on the area until the poop softens enough to wipe it off. If you have a tiny pair of sharp scissors (preferably round ended ones used on babies' fingernails) and a very steady hand you can snip the pieces of poop off along with a bit of the dirtied feather.
Is he eating? If his cagemate is bothering him and won't let him rest you should put them in separate cages or put the sick one in a cardboard box (about 12x18 inches and about 8 inches deep lined with clean paper towels and his food and water in shallow dishes about 3-4 inches round and 1 inch deep. At the same time, keep him as warm as possible (80-90 temp) to preserve his energy reserves for surviving.

Obviously he needs to be seen ASAP by an qualified avian vet but I realize how hard it is when they're 3 hours away.

If he isn't eating he will not last long. If he is eating he should make it to next week when you can take him to the avian vet.

Be prepared to make a tough decision to put him out of his misery if that's what the vet recommends. Of course we all hope he recovers, and he may, but without having any idea right now what's wrong with him it it's very hard to say.

Try to stay calm and strong for him. I wish you both the best.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry that your sweet boy is having these issues. It's hard to tell what's going on with his foot, unfortunately you'll have to wait until you can see the vet next week. I had an elderly Red Bellied parrot who came to me with one leg paralyzed and nothing could be done. She got around the cage almost as well as her mate, who was fine. We did have to make a few changes to the cage by adding platforms and wide perches.

I would suggest moving him away from the other budgies to a travel cage, or anything that's not very tall where he can move around freely and if he falls it won't be far.
You can also get the poop off by using warm, wet paper towels folded up into a square. That will loosen it if you just hold the paper towel against it. It takes awhile, and several paper towels, and sometimes you may have to start with the removal and then wait a bit if he gets too upset. I had a cockatiel in his 30s and this happened with him quite often. Hopefully someone has an idea of how to remove the poop more easily.

Sending healing wishes and prayers, please update us on how he's doing.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
View attachment 56153
View attachment 56152

Hello! For around a week, my 5yo male budgie has been having these 2 problems i mentioned, the one that worry me the most is his right foot, it seems that he can't move it, doesnt seems to be hurt, just paralyzed? I went to a vet but she had no idea whats going on (she's not an avian vet) and just said to put vitamins on the water (i dont think it will help honestly). The closest avian vet to me is 3 hours away, and i only can go there next week, can someone help me find what could be the case and what i can do to help him? he's my oldest budgie i really love him a lot, and its frustating to see him in that state. View attachment 56154
I agree with you that vitamins in the water will most likely be of no help. They may indeed be counterproductive if they change the taste of the water and it stops him drinking, or cause bacteria to grow in the water. Can you ask the avian vet if they are prepared to do a phone consult in the meantime before you're able to actually take your budgie in to have him seen? My bird vet offers phone consults to clients hundreds of miles away, obviously nothing beats a hands-on exam but perhaps they may be able to offer you some ideas on what you might do for him in the meantime.

I hope this helps in some way, and i wish you and your little one all the very best. 🙏

OP
S

SuperMelee

Nov 17, 2023
So sad, I agree. It doesn't look good for him. Birds are very clean animals and when they can't, or won't bother to even keep their feathers free of feces the bird is generally very weak and sick. Can you handle him? If so, you should try to gently clean the poop off the feathers and especially the vent with a warm, damp cloth (no soap). Don't pull on the feathers. Hold the warm cloth on the area until the poop softens enough to wipe it off. If you have a tiny pair of sharp scissors (preferably round ended ones used on babies' fingernails) and a very steady hand you can snip the pieces of poop off along with a bit of the dirtied feather.
Is he eating? If his cagemate is bothering him and won't let him rest you should put them in separate cages or put the sick one in a cardboard box (about 12x18 inches and about 8 inches deep lined with clean paper towels and his food and water in shallow dishes about 3-4 inches round and 1 inch deep. At the same time, keep him as warm as possible (80-90 temp) to preserve his energy reserves for surviving.

Obviously he needs to be seen ASAP by an qualified avian vet but I realize how hard it is when they're 3 hours away.

If he isn't eating he will not last long. If he is eating he should make it to next week when you can take him to the avian vet.

Be prepared to make a tough decision to put him out of his misery if that's what the vet recommends. Of course we all hope he recovers, and he may, but without having any idea right now what's wrong with him it it's very hard to say.

Try to stay calm and strong for him. I wish you both the best.

He is eating and acting normally, flying all the time, but he struggles to sleep now because he falls, how i can help him in this case? I already put the perches closer to the botton of the cage

Thanks!!

OP
S

SuperMelee

Nov 17, 2023
I agree with you that vitamins in the water will most likely be of no help. They may indeed be counterproductive if they change the taste of the water and it stops him drinking, or cause bacteria to grow in the water. Can you ask the avian vet if they are prepared to do a phone consult in the meantime before you're able to actually take your budgie in to have him seen? My bird vet offers phone consults to clients hundreds of miles away, obviously nothing beats a hands-on exam but perhaps they may be able to offer you some ideas on what you might do for him in the meantime.

I hope this helps in some way, and i wish you and your little one all the very best. 🙏
Ok i will try to contact the vet, thanks!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He is eating and acting normally, flying all the time, but he struggles to sleep now because he falls, how i can help him in this case? I already put the perches closer to the botton of the cage

Thanks!!
A platform perch about 6 inches square or a 3 inch wide half-log perch (split lengthwise not across, rounded side up, would give him needed stability when sleeping. Perches should be no higher than 12 inches from cage floor.
I'm so happy to hear your little buddy is eating and flying.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Maybe this might help?
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Other people have written good answers, I can just share my experience because I had a budgie with a similar problem - his leg was paralyzed too (first it was just a single toe, later it "expended"). I was a dump kid then and I was ignoring it until one day when suddenly he started being very weak and passed away. (there were no other symptoms until his last day - he had been eating and flying normally too)
I don't want to worry you because maybe your fid has another illness than mine had, I'm just writing it to show how serious it may be.

I hope the vet will be able to help your buddy, fingers crossed🤞

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Other people have written good answers, I can just share my experience because I had a budgie with a similar problem - his leg was paralyzed too (first it was just a single toe, later it "expended"). I was a dump kid then and I was ignoring it until one day when suddenly he started being very weak and passed away. (there were no other symptoms until his last day - he had been eating and flying normally too)
I don't want to worry you because maybe your fid has another illness than mine had, I'm just writing it to show how serious it may be.

I hope the vet will be able to help your buddy, fingers crossed🤞
I had a female budgie, Rocky's Mom Lilibelle, who temporarily lost the use of her legs the last two times she laid eggs. She had been bred successfully several times before I adopted her. It was very upsetting but she was a very strong girl and both times after a few weeks in a padded "hospital cage" she slowly recovered.
The avian vet said that when a hen lays, her pelvic bones separate a bit to allow passage of the eggs and normally bounce right back together. Lilibelle's stayed spread too long pinching the nerves to her legs causing paralysis.

When a hen becomes egg bound the pressure of the egg trapped in her pelvis also causes paralysis of the legs and impedes blood flow to the legs and internal organs causing death. I lost a hen to egg binding several years ago and it was heartbreaking to watch her suffer and die within hours. It always happens on a Saturday night with no avian vet available.

I know your budgie is a male so the above doesn't apply but perhaps he has a tumor or other mass in his pelvis that is pressing on the nerves to one of his legs. Budgies are very prone to tumors. Only way to tell is from x-rays. Several of my budgies have had x-rays requiring anesthesia, and all survived it, so if the avian vet wants to perform x-rays I would allow it.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
View attachment 56153
View attachment 56152

View attachment 56153
View attachment 56152

Please, instead of asking questions on forums, if your bird has major problems like this, it's SUPER IMPORTANT to take it to an avian vet ASAP! The more days you wait, the more chance you can lose your bird! Some general vet offices will have one Dr. who sees birds in many cases, but you have to call & ask. This is the same w/24hr. emergency vets. At this point, I would have taken the bird to emergency.

Most Reactions

Latest posts