Help With Lighting

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I wanted to move my Conures cage to a better location in my living room. He is across the room from a large picture window where he receives enough light during the day. But at night, that area is pretty dark so would like to get some artificial light for him.
However, the more I read about lights, light flickering, LEDā€™s, full spectrum lights, etcā€¦the more concerned I get since reading some horror stories about flickering and/or cataracts and more.
As you can see by the photo, I am VERY limited for space so felt that only a small pole or reading light might do. But what type of bulb?
A full spectrum light over the cage isnā€™t really a possibility since he uses that playground all the time.
IMG_1060.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
fyi, sunlight filtered thru window glass is devoid of the properties needed to synthesize vit-D.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Iā€™m a little jealous of that play stand; it looks awesome! This is the UVB bulb I use for my bird. It screws into any normal light fixture ( I just have it in a utility lamp that clips to the top of the cage). I read a long article by an avian veterinarian discussing these types of bulbs. Apparently most UVB bulb arenā€™t actually truly full spectrum which offers the benefit of vitamin D. This Bulb was one the few the vet tested that was truly fully spectrum. A few rules to follow with a UVB bulb: it should always shine down from the top of the cage not from the side (where the bird would be looking directly into it). Leave it on for no more than six hours a day. Turn it off a couple hours before the birdā€™s bedtime or they might have trouble settling down for the night. Always make sure the bird can choose to move away from it. The full spectrum properties begin to fade after one year. Another option could be a flat aquarium light. Would that fit better on top of the cage?

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    544.2 KB · Views: 10
OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Iā€™m a little jealous of that play stand; it looks awesome! This is the UVB bulb I use for my bird. It screws into any normal light fixture ( I just have it in a utility lamp that clips to the top of the cage). I read a long article by an avian veterinarian discussing these types of bulbs. Apparently most UVB bulb arenā€™t actually truly full spectrum which offers the benefit of vitamin D. This Bulb was one the few the vet tested that was truly fully spectrum. A few rules to follow with a UVB bulb: it should always shine down from the top of the cage not from the side (where the bird would be looking directly into it). Leave it on for no more than six hours a day. Turn it off a couple hours before the birdā€™s bedtime or they might have trouble settling down for the night. Always make sure the bird can choose to move away from it. The full spectrum properties begin to fade after one year. Another option could be a flat aquarium light. Would that fit better on top of the cage?
My Vet recently recommended I get a UV light for Buddy just in general, but have ready many pros/cons regarding this. One article mentioned that the only UV that actually works is a 48ā€ type. Any other type is uselessā€¦again this was from a scientific study.
My problem is that playground (thanks). It takes up the entire top of his cage and I would have to eliminate that completely.
I could use just a small lamp there but after reading that birds may see light flickering Iā€™m hesitant.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I wanted to move my Conures cage to a better location in my living room. He is across the room from a large picture window where he receives enough light during the day. But at night, that area is pretty dark so would like to get some artificial light for him.
However, the more I read about lights, light flickering, LEDā€™s, full spectrum lights, etcā€¦the more concerned I get since reading some horror stories about flickering and/or cataracts and more.
As you can see by the photo, I am VERY limited for space so felt that only a small pole or reading light might do. But what type of bulb?
A full spectrum light over the cage isnā€™t really a possibility since he uses that playground all the time.View attachment 56190
I would put mini nightlight into the nearest electrical outlet. I use them because my budgies occasionally get night spooks and start flapping around trying to get back up on the perch in the darkness. When one starts flapping in the dark, the others follow, waking us up to turn on a light u til they calm down and get back to bed.
They give off just enough light.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I would put mini nightlight into the nearest electrical outlet. I use them because my budgies occasionally get night spooks and start flapping around trying to get back up on the perch in the darkness. When one starts flapping in the dark, the others follow, waking us up to turn on a light u til they calm down and get back to bed.
They give off just enough light.
I would stay away from any florescent light. I think they're the ones that flicker and that must be very annoying to birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts