Budgies living in a previously Ferret cage

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
I know it sounds awful, but they don't mind. I got the cage from a garage sale for $15 i couldn't say no. if it was a peice of trash? THROW IT OUT, what is $15? so i got it. I was wondering if there was a way to take the two sections out of the middle so that i can make it a flight cage? if anyone has some ideas, please let me know. I can try to include some more pics if it is needed, but the screws i can't see from the outside, and i know that the cage didn't arrive at their door pre-assembled. it is a 3-story cage, and ignore all the bird stuff under the cage LOL. they are spoiled. so also they only use one section bc i found it too hard to keep up with 3 water bowls, 3 food sources, and my birds would ignore some and use some ect. so ignore the two bottom levels. basically, where there is a line in the cage, it is a grate. also it becomes SUPER difficult to clean the grate in the middle bc they poop on it and i can't reach my hand it there, so it is becoming a health hazard for me and the birds..

IMG_0071.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I know it sounds awful, but they don't mind. I got the cage from a garage sale for $15 i couldn't say no. if it was a peice of trash? THROW IT OUT, what is $15? so i got it. I was wondering if there was a way to take the two sections out of the middle so that i can make it a flight cage? if anyone has some ideas, please let me know. I can try to include some more pics if it is needed, but the screws i can't see from the outside, and i know that the cage didn't arrive at their door pre-assembled. it is a 3-story cage, and ignore all the bird stuff under the cage LOL. they are spoiled. so also they only use one section bc i found it too hard to keep up with 3 water bowls, 3 food sources, and my birds would ignore some and use some ect. so ignore the two bottom levels. basically, where there is a line in the cage, it is a grate. also it becomes SUPER difficult to clean the grate in the middle bc they poop on it and i can't reach my hand it there, so it is becoming a health hazard for me and the birds..

View attachment 51871
So what if it was a ferret cage? I'm not sure how this cage is built so its hard to say how you can remove the horizontal panels to make it one big cage. There are saws that can cut cage bars. My husband has a hand power tool for that so I know it can be done.
If you want to reduce your cleaning labor I would just put newspaper on top of the wire grate below your birds and replace it every few days.

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
the problem is there is no access door in the middle so it is totally inaccessible

Most Reactions

Latest posts