Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I have budgies, conures and cockatiels and decided to get a three tier cage for them so I only have one cage and it takes up less space. It's basically three cages stacked on top of each other with the option to put a divider in the middle and separate each cage into two. I'm not using the divider as my budgies share a cage, my cockatiels share a cage and my conures share a cage and they have no issues with this, but it's a nice option in case I ever need to separate them.

The cage is bigger than their previous one so I thought they'd be happy with it but only the budgies like it. I put all of their toys inside the new cages so they have familiarity, and their favourite foods too. They've been in the aviary all day so I brought them in for dinner and they liked the new cages for five minutes and now they won't stop screaming. It's been a couple of hours and they've eaten a bit and explored the cage but now they're just screaming and some of them are pacing like they want to come out. The budgies are fine and are settling down to sleep. Whenever I've changed cages they've been fine, and I've always changed to bigger ones and they've always been happy so I don't know what I've done wrong or why they seem to hate this one. It's in the same room as their old cages too so they're in familiar surroundings, and I've been in the room trying to settle them but they just won't. As soon as it goes quiet one of them will make a sound and it sets them off again.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Get a quaker ...you even add a toy to the cage they growl at you for 10 minutes at least for touching thier stuff.

OP
Greenhouseparrots

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Get a quaker ...you even add a toy to the cage they growl at you for 10 minutes at least for touching thier stuff.
I'm glad I don't have any quakers then :ROFLMAO:

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I hope your birds are settling in a little more now! I wonder if the stacking cage is just such a different setup that it upset or confused them a little. I was very relieved that when I moved my Quaker he absolutely loved his new cage! After spending so much money, I was afraid he would hate it and refuse to use it 😅. At the time, he had not bonded with me yet and was very aggressive so I was still keeping him caged all the time. What I did to help him adjust to the new cage was I opened the doors to both cages and set them up against each other so that he could travel freely between both cages. Then, each day, I moved one or two toys or perches from his old cage to his new one until eventually there was nothing left in the old cage and he willingly moved himself into the new cage! The fact that your budgies had no problem with the new cage made me chuckle; budgies seem so adaptable, while the bigger birds get grumpy about the smallest change in their routine 😂.

OP
Greenhouseparrots

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
I hope your birds are settling in a little more now! I wonder if the stacking cage is just such a different setup that it upset or confused them a little. I was very relieved that when I moved my Quaker he absolutely loved his new cage! After spending so much money, I was afraid he would hate it and refuse to use it 😅. At the time, he had not bonded with me yet and was very aggressive so I was still keeping him caged all the time. What I did to help him adjust to the new cage was I opened the doors to both cages and set them up against each other so that he could travel freely between both cages. Then, each day, I moved one or two toys or perches from his old cage to his new one until eventually there was nothing left in the old cage and he willingly moved himself into the new cage! The fact that your budgies had no problem with the new cage made me chuckle; budgies seem so adaptable, while the bigger birds get grumpy about the smallest change in their routine 😂.
Aww I'm glad your quaker liked his new cage! The slow transition is a good idea, unfortunately I don't have enough room to have all the cages in the room at the same time so I had to empty the old cages, get rid of them and then put the new cage in the same day.

They've settled in a little bit now, though they're still screaming a bit. I think it's my cockatiel and conure that were raised together that are upset, even though they've bonded to other birds now and don't even go near each other out of the cage. Hopefully they settle down soon. They can see each other in the mirror that hangs on the back of my door so I'm hoping that will help settle them in.

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
it's like moving. because birds are just 2-5 year olds that never grow up I think it's understandable that they don't like it. just like a 3 year old. they will get used to it before you know it

OP
Greenhouseparrots

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
it's like moving. because birds are just 2-5 year olds that never grow up I think it's understandable that they don't like it. just like a 3 year old. they will get used to it before you know it
They've moved cages a few times before and liked it, I even take them on holiday with me sometimes and they like that too! It's unlike them to hate a bigger cage. They're getting used to it now though, but it's definitely my conure and cockatiel that don't like being apart from each other.

Most Reactions

Latest posts