Cage Aggression - Help!

bpenniman

Mar 31, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Budgie-Lucinda
Blue-Fronted Amazon-Lucy
My blue fronted amazon has developed cage aggression after I got her a much bigger cage. If I stick my hand in there to move a toy around or do anything she immediately tries to attack me. Whenever I walk by her cage she fans her tail and her pupils get bigger. She won't step up and won't leaver her cage. I leaver her cage door open and she won't even climb out. Anyone ever had a similar situation and how did you deal with it? What should I do?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Can you get her out of the cage via a hand held perch?

The best way to work with a cage aggressive Amazon is AWAY from the cage. Once you have her out, start teaching her the 'up' and 'down' command. A simple T-stand will work for this, or even the back of a chair.

Also teach her to step onto a hand held perch (if she doesn't already). It could be as simple as a piece of dowel.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
YEP.

My guess is this is a breeding season issue. Amazon territorialism is a common problem, during breeding season. I have a nest worth protecting now... and I'm gonna protect it.

Work with the bird in another room where he can't see the nest... no nest = nothing to defend. The problem behaviors stop.

I always just wrapped a towel around my arm and made them step up anyway.

Last edited:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Wendy has given you some great advise, also keep in mind that it is spring and breeding season for our lovely green monsters. Do you know if your BFA is a girl or a boy? Breeding mode tends to look very different between the boys and girls with the boys getting more aggressive. The timing of the new cage might have just been so close to the season that you are seeing a crossover.

Most Reactions

Latest posts