Cage Clicking?

arashkya

Nov 13, 2011
Hi there everyone. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this behavior. But here I go.

I have two budgies, not quite two years old. Both female. They have been cage mates since I got them as babies. Recently the more aggressive female has started this strange new behavior. She'll go around the cage and click the bars with her beak. At first I thought this was because she needed some way to get something out of her beak. I started putting extra gravel covers on their perches, and including different types of treats and toys in the cage.

Both birds aren't very people friendly, but considering the amount of cats in the home, I'm ok with that. The aggressive bird, Binge, tends to always be the first to start new behavior. Does anyone know why she might be doing this?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck does this sometimes when he's acting hyper. I don't know why exactly. I think it's just something noisy to do, and he likes making noise. Lol.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Billie does this too, he will tap his beak on the cage bars and the acrylic front of his cage, he seems to do it when he's excited and wants to come out. I think he knows it's a good way to get attention. I'm not sure why your budgie would be doing it if she isn't people friendly, maybe she just wants to get out and fly around a bit. Is there anyway you can let them out for a little bit(away from any felines of course.)? Our budgies aren't people friendly but I still like to let them out to get exercise. I was worried at first about how I was going to get them back in but when they get hungry, thirsty or tired they just go back in the cage on their own and I close the door.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
The actions you are describing are normally done by male birds who are" marking" their territory, It's a way of saying this is my area. I have a flock of tiels in an outdoor flight and it's usually the more alpha males that do this,tapping on perches,toys ,cage bars etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts