Cage & Questions HELP

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
Hey guys its Pixore
With Aries and Boo.
So as you know or if not here it is short And sweet. I got a mini aviary cage from Craigslist. It was a lil dark out but nice house good people (I thought) help load it up n left. Got home. Soon as it hit the ground bottom half fall out with nails. Its just falling apart. I have a rescue donating me a new cage.

So my question is. If I'm gonna.fix it.how should i? ($75) cause I'm in the hole and minds well.

Second Aries and Boo have been, around each other for awhile. Aries and Boo seem to like each other. I'm trying to get them to come out and stretch wings. Everyone's too afraid. Aries throws his wings up (I call it,the bird efff u) lol. And I haven't been around much have some personal issues. I'm now setting up again and I need to be. In their more. So still holding off on them being in the same. Cage.

So if I show u the pics of the cage tell me what you would do. Because it's wayyyyyy to low. I some how am gonna need it higher. And the dishes are a pain in me arse ;)

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Can the cage be fixed is the big question. The use of nails bring several questions as to what kind of cage is it. For the sake of time, I'm going to assume it a metal cage and that the nails had been used to keep the bottom from falling out their tracks (slides). If true, placing the cage on a flat surface, like a table, slide the bottom back into place and see what you have.

The likely answer is that as long as no one moves it, the cage may stay together until its time to clean it.

Long story short, you got stung! Time to start looking for a replacement cage.

I'm not a big believer in Parrots sharing cages. When everything are going good, life is wonderful. However, when things go bad, they can go real bad, real fast.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Can the cage be fixed is the big question. The use of nails bring several questions as to what kind of cage is it. For the sake of time, I'm going to assume it a metal cage and that the nails had been used to keep the bottom from falling out their tracks (slides). If true, placing the cage on a flat surface, like a table, slide the bottom back into place and see what you have.

The likely answer is that as long as no one moves it, the cage may stay together until its time to clean it.

I'm not a big believer in Parrots sharing cages. When everything are going good, life is wonderful. However, when things go bad, they can go real bad, real fast.

Ya, like Steve <SailBoat> said..sounds like someone took advantage of your good nature! :mad: I am NOT a big fan of doing transactions on Craigslist,sorry!

Show us some pictures..there might be someone here who is qualified to give you a "cheap" way of repairing it,but it does sound like you will be needing to invest in a new home for your tiels.

Jim

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
1570109fac14463240dee5505e190854.jpg

What it.looked like when I got home. Tool everythong out and Clened itlet dry in sun for 2 days. If not.longer. the top is a storage I thought. But there is a square hole and I side their was hay.I'm guessing they were breeders.

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
On the left side. There is a door shaped ruined wire for what ever reason. An its.pretty sharp. So Ive.made it safer.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Ooooooh... I'm a bundle of worries...
Wood is so hard to keep clean and safe.
Is that metal stainless steel or something toxic?
There are so many nooks and crannies and potential hazards...
I hope you can get a standard cage with time-tested design and safety.
Good luck.
I'm glad you're here, asking... :)

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
Oh its safe wire. No rust or anything. Its.the wood park. I (crafty me I hammered new. Wood and.put wheels on.the down side the dishes, I can't seem to get them on without wearing it. And.how he did the bottom. A big pi e of wood u pull out.and. clean. Let me tell you I have needing everywhere in my carpet Evey day
That needs to be done I believe. I'm up for suggestions. And any help would be amazing of you.all. ty

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I agree with Gail, wood is incredibly hard to keep clean, even when it's just outer framework. I just took apart the large wood framed aviary I had for my budgies. I will say it looked clean, but when I started taking it apart it was gross. Had I known that there were as many places for stuff to build up unseen, I would have never housed a bird in it.

Please just look into a different cage. Especially if you're going to get a second hand cage, make sure it is something that can be cleaned and thoroughly sanitized.

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016

Ya, like Steve <SailBoat> said..sounds like someone took advantage of your good nature! :mad: I am NOT a big fan of doing transactions on Craigslist,sorry!

Show us some pictures..there might be someone here who is qualified to give you a "cheap" way of repairing it,but it does sound like you will be needing to invest in a new home for your tiels.

Jim
68624629370626fb9cf6c40a1108592e.jpg

d34c7c8c7e561cdcd43faec5750abb6b.jpg

Remember nothing in their is in if now. No babehs lol

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
The Only wood is on back. As you can see. N the bottom pulls out. That's wood.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
There is a possibility that the wire is galvanized to prevent rust. But the galvanized wire is toxic to parrots. There's no way around that. Even though the wood may be clean, it is a porous surface and there is no way to ensure that it is not harboring deadly viruses or bacteria. Some pathogens can live suspended indefinitely.

If other birds lived in this container , is it possible that they got sick and died? Or even just sick? If so it could harm your birds.

I had a cage that was powdercoated, very spacious, very expensive, that I found hidden rust on by putting my head in the cage, and I had to throw it away. I can't afford to re powder coat a cage. Was it a loss? Monetarily sure, but I have a healthy bird. I can't afford a sick bird more than I can't afford to repair a cage.

In the long run this could cost you the worst thing of all, the life of your birds. Why even risk a moment of suffering for them?

CherylCali

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated by three owners of my favorite Parrots, ok there are a few others. This cage is going to be more of a problem that it is worth! So, consider this cage a very short term cage.

This cage will quickly become a really pain to deal with. Everything from getting your Parrot into and out of, plus feeding and worst of all cleaning. Add to that, it sits on the floor!

At present, nail up the weak areas and start looking for an upgrade. If there is a Pet Shop in your area, ask to look at their 'used' cages. Also, get on their list to call if one comes in.

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
As stated by three owners of my favorite Parrots, ok there are a few others. This cage is going to be more of a problem that it is worth! So, consider this cage a very short term cage.

This cage will quickly become a really pain to deal with. Everything from getting your Parrot into and out of, plus feeding and worst of all cleaning. Add to that, it sits on the floor!

At present, nail up the weak areas and start looking for an upgrade. If there is a Pet Shop in your area, ask to look at their 'used' cages. Also, get on their list to call if one comes in.
Thank you. I am planning on it. So she. I get the new one. Could I re do it for maybe a outside avairy? And change all the wood or completely throw away

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
f0c48f00b9a027235212cc08e0071ded.jpg

579685d996aa538b975b3d75ae1fb3dc.jpg

What one should i use for now or just wait until I get a new one.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
I think they're both great if you can get one of them now. The more tall is probably better size.

CherylCali

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
I think they're both great if you can get one of them now. The more tall is probably better size.

CherylCali
The tall one I washed and power washed. There's.a little rust. But not bad. The blue on is just too crowded for her.

OP
pixore

pixore

Jun 23, 2016
That k goodness only till tomorrow.

Most Reactions

Latest posts