cage safety concerns

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Im noticing a few potential problems with the cage and toys and am looking for solutions. First, the rope boing has a metal wire running through it for structure but the ends poke out. They are looped but one is showing a bit of rust. I can cover it with vetwrap but what about cleaning them? Right now I put them in the dishwasher with vinegar but will the rust soak into the rope? Some of my rope perches have screw ends so the wire doesnt show, but it could still potentially rust through after washing? What do i need to be aware of and how do i fix it or protect against issues?

Second: The perch on Wranglers preferred roost is a dowel, not a branch. Should I wrap it with vetwrap to make it softer for him?

Third: One of my perches is natural horn/antler. Is it ok for him to chew on this?

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Penelope Primrose: Crimson bellied conure
I vet wrap my hole rope boing in my conures cage cause I'm paranoid about her toe nails getting caught in it. As for the rust if it's covered and the parrot isn't chewing it I don't see why it would be an issue. As for the vet wrap my bird keeps it pretty clean so I change it whenever I notice it start to build up with any food.

Most Reactions

Latest posts