Cage Safety Quality

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a new cage however from my research I understand that there are no longer Manufacturers in America and most are coming from China I have read several sites that have claimed the zinc found in the powedercoat can be toxic. Some people have reported very high levels after testing and some were low. Ivetried to speak to Kings cages Aviian Adventuers Aand E and others. Not one would address this issue except to say their cages have randomly been tested and cannot gurantee that the cage I purchase would be zinc free. This is very concerning as I will not take a chance unless the cage is tested. I realize Stainless Steel cages can eliminate that worry however I just think the steel is to "clinical" looking and Ive had a white cage (California Cage) for years. If any manufacture reading this can assist me I'd appreciate it. I thinkit would be a great service and level of comfort if they would offer testing the spefiic cage at the buyers expense. If- anyone has experience in this are or can offer any support please let me know.

In- addition I'm trying to find a safe padlock for my cages... I have read that stainles steel is the only option. Is this true and has anyone purchased locks and where can i

thanks

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I have read several sites that have claimed the zinc found in the powedercoat can be toxic. Some people have reported very high levels after testing and some were low. Ivetried to speak to Kings cages Aviian Adventuers Aand E and others. Not one would address this issue except to say their cages have randomly been tested and cannot gurantee that the cage I purchase would be zinc free. This is very concerning as I will not take a chance unless the cage is tested. I realize Stainless Steel cages can eliminate that worry however I just think the steel is to "clinical" looking and Ive had a white cage (California Cage) for years. If any manufacture reading this can assist me I'd appreciate it. I thinkit would be a great service and level of comfort if they would offer testing the spefiic cage at the buyers expense. If- anyone has experience in this are or can offer any support please let me know.

Because of the cost of manufacturing in the U.S., cage manufacturers have moved off shore. While you "I think it would be a great service and level of comfort," manufacturers, I'm sure, are more concerned about their bottom line.

Have you considered buying a stainless steel cage and having a local powder coating shop paint it for you.....that way you could get a coating surface without zinc in it.....

Good luck.....

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
Thank you very much for the responses. It seems the cages that are made in China sell anywhere from $300-$900 and Stainless Steel start at $2500. It seems there is a gap that could be filled by an American Manufacturer as I would be happy to pay the additional costs up to $1800 or so. The safety of our birds are the most important factor in determining the items we buy from food to toys etc. Maybe these companies need to think of safety and thus gain a reputation based on that.

I spoke with Avian Adventures via Email and they sent me a letter from 2011 from a laboratory detailing their testing standards and found zero zinc. However I still would want to have my cage tested which they couldn't provide. In addition I asked if locally in Los Angeles I could view their cages and they stated that the larger cages are typically special ordered and thus I guess they couldnt provide me with any store that carried their cages.

I also spoke with Kings Cages and they stated they no longer manufacture in Europe.
I have a California Cage now and the surface is smooth. All the cages Ive seen have a rougher finish which I fear would encourage biting of the paint. Its very frustrating at best. I would not know whereto go nor feel safe having a Stainless cage painted locally.

Thanks again for your suggestions

Has anyone had any experience with dr.s fosters and smiths cage liners --- Ive been using newspaper and I know thats safe but I dont like the smell of newspapers and would prefer a better way to line the cage
thank you again )

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
I would ask avian adventures if they are willing to stand behind their product and offer to do a test with a local testing company. Ask them to accept the cage and pay a full refund for shipping if a lab found zinc. See what they say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
thanks I did ask but they informed me they dont sell retail and thus cant help me--- Its very frustrating as there is a disconnect between the love we have as owners and those trying to make a business selling.
I would bend over backwards to assist owners and build a reputation based on the need. I would offer a testing service as well as potentially offer to powdercoat the cages in America if that was my business. Its the 21st century and not one American manufacturer exists.

Most Reactions

Latest posts