Cage smells - any tips?

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
WOW just read you can even clean the oven with it. Great no worries about oven cleaner fumes anymore This is going to be great

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't like using chemicals in the bird room. So for me, this thing was a Godsend.

I've actually warn out three of these machines over the past twelve years or so, I use them so much...

THAT AND MY SHOP VAC... just gets constant use.

Works real well on bathroom jobs as well. Especially tile.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Yeah I see all it can do now. I really was not going to spend that for just the cage but after reading all it can do I jumped on it. I really can't use a lot of chemicals anyway. I have Asthma and to be honest just can't stand the smell. Amazed at what this machine can do . WINDOW YES lol.

Firethorn

Aug 25, 2015
Make the cage negatively charged by attaching a piece of zinc to it. Give the cage a lysol spray the next time you break it down to clean it. Bacterial decay can make a cage smell worse than just poo. Zinc is toxic to birds so I would attach the zinc where it will be completely inaccessible to your bird. Put baking soda, charcoal and zeolite near your cage. Make sure to spray all the lysol off. There is no data on the toxicity of lysol to birds, but better safe than sorry.

Jerseyjeff62

Sep 11, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
parakeet 20yrs(RIP PETEY),Gracie a TAG
could i sprinkle some baking powder/soda on the newspaper after i change it,Gracie's cage has a "pet"smell to it would it harm her?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I steam clean my cages.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
could i sprinkle some baking powder/soda on the newspaper after i change it,Gracie's cage has a "pet"smell to it would it harm her?

Hi I am not sure about Baking Power or soda.

I steam mine and also wash it down with warm water and about two capful of Gain per gal of water. The gain smells good and it will break down any poop . I take the Grate and tray out once a week and wash down. The cage itself is to large to take outside

Maybe someone else will come along with other ideas

OP
lorika

lorika

Jun 28, 2015
The Netherlands
Parrots
Loki, a strong-willed but adorable Rainbow Lorikeet
I've gotten a steam cleaner and it works WONDERS on bird poop... Bird food however, not so much.
My lorikeet eats liquid food and he whips it around in his cage. It's impossible to get rid of with a steam-cleaner, so I still need to use a sponge for that.

However, I'm not sorry I got the steam cleaner, because it's also great to do the floor with. :)

ew6301

Apr 7, 2016
My husband has a macaw and is now disabled. I am allergic to all animal dander and it is difficult to clean the cage. Any tips on any type of paper I could use or other tips to keep the bird dander down? Also, it appears that we have a moth infestation; despite the fact that we have her food in Tupperware containers and have purchased the sticky houses. I fear that we will never be able to get rid of these flying moths. They are everywhere, flying in the air, on the ceiling. Any tips for this issue. Desperate!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My husband has a macaw and is now disabled. I am allergic to all animal dander and it is difficult to clean the cage. Any tips on any type of paper I could use or other tips to keep the bird dander down? Also, it appears that we have a moth infestation; despite the fact that we have her food in Tupperware containers and have purchased the sticky houses. I fear that we will never be able to get rid of these flying moths. They are everywhere, flying in the air, on the ceiling. Any tips for this issue. Desperate!!

Hi there, and welcome to the forums! :)

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your allergies! Cleaning the cage on a daily basis, changing the paper, misting the bird often, cleaning air ducts, an air filter, changing the air filter....all those will help with the dander.

Here, please have a look at this thread. We have someone else who is highly allergic to dander, and the thread contains some terrific advice: http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/60751-allergies.html

As for the seed moths... I am SO sorry! They are a massive PITA to get rid of. Hold on, I've got a link to that, too. A fellow member just battled those (successfully). :) The Sweet Life Of A Parrot: The Battle Of The Moths!!

GOOD LUCK! Please keep us posted. :)

jenster

Oct 19, 2014
Untied kingdom
Parrots
I have a yellow sided green cheek Conure named Charlie and Pineapple Conure named Lola.
I'm after cleaning the birds toys and I noticed someone said to use vinegar I didn't know this could be used, is it just white vinegar? I've had a look and the only vinegar I have is distilled malt vinegar, is this ok to use? It's clear in colour.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
ACV Apple Cider Vinegar is best but to be honest I don't think the white will clean like the ACV

If you have a Dish Washer that is the best place to wash anything that will fit in it. I even put a few perches in there.

Dawn in the sink will also work .

jenster

Oct 19, 2014
Untied kingdom
Parrots
I have a yellow sided green cheek Conure named Charlie and Pineapple Conure named Lola.
Ok thanks for now ill put them in the washing machine and next time I'm in town ill pick some ACV up.

AirPurifierguy

Dec 30, 2019
One of the best ways to eliminate odor from birds is to use an air purifier. I have several birds in my home and an air purifier works to not only keep the home smelling nice but also eliminates any bird allergies that my guests may suffer from. The air purifier will capture the odor and prevent it from escaping. I think the best air purifier for birds is the IQAir.:green1:

Last edited by a moderator:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
agreed- just make sure it's non ionizing/ non sanitizing (as ozone harms birds)and get one that works for the sq feet in question. That having been said, the poop shouldn't have a smell. I use f10 sc to sanitize the cage as well.

Last edited:

Most Reactions