Calcium overdose in budgies

Georgia

May 16, 2012
Hi, I have kept budgies for about 6 years now. at the moment I have a 6 year old called shimma, two 3 year olds called snowii and sugah and a 4 month old called smokii. I bought smokkii about a month and a half ago. She is a beautiful blue yellow faced spangle and she is the one that I am having trouble with. Not so much trouble but I am a little worried about her. As a rule of thumb, I always keep a cuttlefish bone in my birds cages. All my birds nibble at it at some time or another however, a few days after I introduced my little smokii into the cage she started gobbling it up. She pretty much goes through a cuttlefish every day all on her own. I know that birds can overdose on calcium when it is added to their water but can they overdose on cuttlefish ? Should I be limiting the cuttlefish or will she stop eating it before an overdose occurs. also, I never add calcium to their water. I feel like putting any supplement in their water is forcing them to drink it when I would rather just let them take it when they know they need it. If there is anyone out there with knowledge on this subject I would love to hear what you think about the situation. :yellow2::D

Most Reactions