Calling Kiwibird!! Do you think this will work?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
After Percy's last "You left me here all alone with no food, no toys, no love, no nothin'" tantrum after me leaving town for two days, I'm following Kiwibird's advice and made a bunch of completely different (and hopefully more fun) toys and things to keep his lordship occupied and entertained while I go away for three days.

In addition to the 'busy board thing' I posted here : http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/42294-made-busy-board-kind.html I also made the following goodies for mom to supply as time goes by -

Activity Basket (I think I hid a treat or two in here) -

IMG-20140310-01046_zpsc0476344.jpg

'Play board thingy' (I cut out and folded these things at work today while on a teleconference ;) Mom will add a few sunflower seeds in the folds of the concertina thing in the bottom before attaching it to tthe outside of his cage). The goodies are just attached to a piece of very stiff cardboard

IMG-20140310-01043_zpsac23c05b.jpg

A foraging cup, a shreddy octopus, a wooden toy ( mom will just replace one of his other 'full time' toys with this one for interest sake)

IMG-20140310-01045_zps2a8e3c8b.jpg

And lastly - a vine ball, cork & pine slice ring (mom will put an unshelled nut in the fine ball) and the brown paper bag I got my meds in today, stuffed with shredded paper and Percy's favourite toys (same as the big one around the bag, but the smaller softer kind) -

IMG-20140310-01047_zps7c33fec9.jpg

I've also asked mom to ensure he gets lots of out-of-cage time and attention from her and my son. Like Kiwi said, I want him to associate me pulling my suitcase out the door with fun times :).

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
WOW! Im so impressed at the care you put into those :) Do you guys have bird fairs there?

Starlit_Night

Sep 9, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Aleta - Pineapple GCC (Hatch date July 2 2013), Fry & Sprite - Budgies
That first basket made me want to reach out and riffle through it to see all that was there! :D Percy is lucky to have such toys!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
You did an awesome job on all of those. I love the folded paper options!!!

I do not know if Victoria posted, but just zip ties for attaching the basket to the cage, works super easy and lets you put it tight to the cage so it does not move too much and they can rip and tear. And makes hanging them upside down an option to make them really work and exercise :)

The toys are really awesome... you and Kiwibird need to start a toy store, just need to find people to make all the toys, know I would go stir crazy just making toys nonstop :) But awesome, love the combined ideas too!!!

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
jenphilly - My Percy believes that no zip tie should be allowed to live and he murders any and all he sees, instantly :eek: I used to looove using them but since he's decided they're the best chewables ever, I can't anymore :(

Do you guys have bird fairs there?

In the 17 years I've lived in this town, there's only been two that I was aware of and in both cases, it was more of a 'birds for sale' thing than anything else.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think thats an AWESOME start to getting Mr. Percy learning that you being away for a few days isn't the end of the world (and that it's a lot of fun:p). While I'm sure he will still miss you, that should keep him distracted and busy for a couple of days. It may take a couple times to get it through that thickly feathered head, but I really think making a positive association with you leaving for trips is the best thing to try. Those are amazing toys too! Almost like works of art, shame a busy beak will be sure to get at them:roll eyes:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
We have one bird fair here [and are always begging for venders like this :)] You should start one there :)

Most Reactions