calls when I wake up

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
Hi, every morning my little Chico -who is in the other room- will start screeching for me right when I get up (he knows because I open noisy blinds) and I was curious why he does it?

P.S.-He only does it to me.

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
My Quaker does exactly the same thing. The minute he hears me moving around the bedroom in the morning he starts calling to me. I put it down to the fact that he's excited that I'm up. I work from home so he more or less has me around all day so to him, all day is fun. :)

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
Kiwi does the same thing! She hears the floorboards creak and that's it, call-mania. She'll run through all her other sounds when she's done screeching. It doesn't last very long though.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Kenji does that too, his cage is againts the walll at the foot of my bed and when I start moving around he'll start talking and making noise. He also starts dancing and singing if I'm not up yet when my radio(alarm) goes off at 8:30 lol

When Kenji is doing all this Rosie is ignoring the world as she tries to sleep longer lol

Lita

Jun 21, 2013
Austin, TX
Parrots
Reginald - cinnamon GCC
Reginald isn't super loud about it, but the moment my bedroom door opens, he's chirping to be uncovered and let out. :)

OP
bob1

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
Thanks for the posts it seems Chico isn't the only one doing this routine every morning.

RioJPMP

Jun 11, 2013
Ft. Myers, FL
Parrots
Sun Conure
Rio does that to me every morning as well. His thing is the bathroom, once he hears the toilet flush he's crying for me to come get him.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
To answer your question...they do this because in the jungle/forest lots of bad things can happen to birds in the night. And they call to each other to be assured that all flockmates are safe, and will get together for breakfast. He sees you as flock leader. And wants to be with you!

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
My Zon rocks until I open my eyes then at the top of his lungs "Hello Baby" in a bad british accent! LOL

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
As soon as Jackie hears me creeping around in the kitchen he starts saying "hello?" "hello!!" and starts banging around till I open his cover and let him out lol

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
When both birds hear the bedroom door creak open in the morning, we begin hearing "Trixie, Trixie..." as she says her name a hundred times. Meanwhile, Sunny screeches (in that special, loud sun conure way) every time he hears the other one call out. But we love the attention.

Thank goodness we live in a home. The neighbors probably think we're nuttier than a fruitcake with our crazy parrots.

Most Reactions