Calypso made me cry!

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
So as many of you know, Cal was born in an aviary and had no actual tactile contact.

Step up has to be used with a stick or biting prevails!

We play a game when she's in her cage like hide and seek. I tell her to go hide and she hops to the opposite side of her cage and I say "Where's Calypso?!" and she hops over to the perch by my face. She usually squeaks and "hides" to let me know when she wants to play this game.

Last night she was out and I managed to get face to face with her many a time without her going away which was just magical. All of a sudden she flew up to the dado rail with a squeak so I said "where's Calypso?!" and she flew back down to her cage! (And her father thought it was a pointless game in her cage - pah!!) We played this for half an hour which isn't unusual even in her cage lol!

Then I had my hand in her cage while she sat and watched me (I was rearranging and cleaning bits up) when she clambered to the entrance of her cage. Then she scooted over to my hand and I just thought: This will hurt. LOL! She then started opening and closer her beak so gently over my hand and rubbing it, using her tounge too lol.

She looked at me, blinked (that still honours me) and went in to bed. I stood there with tears of joy coming down my cheeks.

It's just a small step but to me, it's massive because she's very tame in a non tactile way (that'll make sense to all of you I know!) but not to touch. I feel like "it's begun".

This is the first pet I've ever have where things have not been almost instant and I'm so SO glad I read up on parrot mentality before I got her. It's clear that things really have to happen on her terms. I just feel so privileged that she feels she can trust me more and more.

I'm so sorry for rambling but I know you're the only people who will understand my excitement!

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Fantastic progress! You have to be gratified and I can't imagine how Calypso must be feeling as you open up her world
Your patience is paying off.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
That's wonderful! :) I've had a similiar experience with Fred. It just warms the heart!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congrat's you doing a fantastic job.
There are going to many many more tears of joy, as they surprise you almost daily.
Keep it up

Last edited:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
One small step for bird, one giant leap for bird kind ;), great to see the progress Von, congrats! :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
It's a wonderful step. Congratulations! This sort of "break through" is always so exciting.

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Congrats ... that is so heart warming.... I know that has to be so special for you and Cal..

Most Reactions