Cameron and a possible cage mate

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
I've been offered a peach faced lovebird and I felt this was a sign from heaven considering I've been thinking of getting Cameron a partner bird to be with as he grows up. Now there are plenty of concerns, some of which I was hoping you all would look at.

Money, not a huge issue but 2 birds would mean more money needed, I'm personally not seeing to much of a issue but what do you all think?

Food, would they be able to eat from the same food from the same bowl or should I invest in a new water/food bowl? Zupreem fruitblend should be fine correct?

Obviously, they will not be in the same cage from day one, the plan is
1 week of quareenten.
Bring love bird cage into my room, introduce the birds, set both cages side by side.
Maybe a month or two in, introduce the lovebird into Cameron cage(Or vice versa depending on the cage).
Does this sound harsh and stupid to take the lovebird home to just replace it with Camerons cage?

Note, while this all seems for Camerons sake, I would love the lovebird just as much as I do Cameron, do believe that.

I'm hoping that getting this lovebird that it will act as a good role model, and friend for Cameron to bond with for the times that I may be unavailable, don't take this as I won't ever be available for the birds but as college comes, time shortens. *Note* The birds will still get attention!

Cameron has taken to me beautifully, but will the lovebird destroy that bond?

Anyways, I hope none of this comes out badly. I want this lovebird to bond with as well for Cameron. The lovebird needed a home and I was glad to help out.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
4 to 6 weeks is the recommended time for quarantine.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I don't know if I wouldnt wait to get another bird. You don't know what issues might pop up w/Cameron that would need your full attention. He's still a baby, the bratty teenage years are yet to come. Just my opinion.

OP
Sabbath

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
That true, haven't put the teen years in yet :p , and it was that long? well extend it to 8 weeks then.

Most Reactions