Camping w/ my GCC & other adventures

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Hi All,

So, hubby and I got an RV and are on our first trip. We came up to Silent Valley RV Resort in CA. Just 3 days. I brought two of our dogs and my GCC. It has been a blast so far. Well, almost.

We were not in the car 15 minutes before Pickles got CAR SICK. Is this normal. She looked queasy, was bobbing her head, and puked up seeds and gook every 5 minutes or so until she was out. Then she dry heaved for awhile and then got over it. Is this normal? I was sitting in the car thinking how is this bird ever going to manage flying when she can't kick back in a car. Anyhow, we made it through that (we just got here yesterday).

Oh, and I bought one of those birdy backpacks. They are incredible. I got the small for Pickles and it's perfect. Last night I put her in it for the first time (arrived just in time for this trip) and we went for a short walk around the campground. She talked about EVERYTHING she saw. A squirrel deserved a quick chatter and it seemed she had a comment about everything new. There were no "I'm afraid" noises, it was all excitement.

She slept great although it was a bit cold. She has been sitting on me for an hour now and is extra loving. I really think she is enjoying being out and about in the world.

Now I have to work my 2 Suns into the next trip. That oughta be a hoot! lol.

-Jen

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Some birds are definitely car sick. I've seen many posts by members on this forum. Most are from the unnatural motion (different from flying which they actively control). Some get sick from the yucky car air freshener smell (make sure you throw out all fragrances, they are toxic to parrots - and humans!)

I've read posts that giving the bird some ginger may help. I haven't tried it myself. i hope yours grow out of it but if she doesn't, I'll definitely watch her health during trips. She might quickly become dehydrated or starved.

OP
PickleMeDickles

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Car Sick Conure

definitely watch her health during trips. She might quickly become dehydrated or starved.

You are so right. I think if this had been a long car trip I would have brought her back home. We only drove for about 35 minutes (but it was up a mountain). I will have to take her on some short trips around town and see how she does.

Oddly, the car sickness was much better once I put on my shoulder and cupped my hard relatively firmly against her. Of course as any sign of discomfort I always gave her her space. It wasn't forceful, just loving and it seemed to really help.

Uggg...what to do if this bird doesn't get over being car sick? This was kind of our retirement. Plus hubby has cancer and is going through major surgery Friday and he has really been looking forward to future trips.

Does anyone else have suggestions other than ginger?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I don't have any suggestions that would really help since I know nothing about 'car sickness'. I would think a sun would be less susceptible though given their habit for 'acrobatics'. LOL.

I know Skittles loves to travel. I took him out to Walmart with me one time and he didn't make a single peep until the bus ride home - he made one peep.

You'll have to post pictures of your little ones adventures! That'd really be a hoot!

I thought of a suggestion in addition to the ginger. You could always try adding fred. It might even things out.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
That sounds like so much fun! Lilo loves camping as well! But I am sorry that Pickles got sick. :( Lilo used to get car sick and puke. But she did get used to car rides after a few trips to grandmas house and day trips! So I hope that Pickles will get used to it too. :)

ManuIki

Oct 15, 2015
Honolulu
Parrots
Pepe is a turquoise green-cheeked conure, born May 22, 2015. We (husband and I) also call him "Manu Iki" (Hawaiian for "Little Bird").
I thought of a suggestion in addition to the ginger. You could always try adding fred. It might even things out.

*applause*

(You didn't get nearly enough love for this!)

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I think allowing your bird to see ahead of them helps, and I know it helped me as a kid when I got carsick. Sometimes being bounced around and not seeing where you're going can cause that, so being on your shoulder she could see out straight ahead. Might try propping her up in the car some more so she can clearly see out the windows.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Birdy gets car-sick too. I've noticed he does fine on huge vehicles that move predictably (trains and trams) but vehicles that sway a lot make him sick (buses, trucks and cars - manual transmission makes them sway even more!)

Some things that can help reduce the swaying are driving smoothly, traveling off-peak (as little stop-starting as possible) and taking highways for their constant speed and direction.
Another good idea is to not feed Pickles until after the trip. It helps a little bit but mostly stops the puke from getting flicked all over the place! :eek:

Don't forget to allow her plenty of food and water after the trip!

oy1XzG2.jpg

Birdy concentrating on the horizon :+o: from back of a coach/inter-city bus traveling down The Great Ocean Road, Australia.

One interesting side note: If I need to take a car ride at night, the darkness causes Birdy to snuggle under my clothes where he sleeps and doesn't get sick at all, no matter how badly the car sways. He just passes out and doesn't feel a thing haha! :D
Maybe you could try driving to the campsite at night or before sunrise?

Last edited:

Most Reactions