Can any one give me a rough guide to how long puberty lasts for gcc?

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Forewarned is for armed as the saying goes.

I'm an trying to get as much info on gcc puberty as i possibly can (Albie is only 4 months old, but you can never start prepping too early) and whilst everything I've read on it is all about their behavior changes and how it is different for every bird that some barely notice their bird going through it and then others have a horrific time off aggression and attacking.

But no where can I find, that talks about how long this period lasts for. I know every bird is different and some transition through quicker and some longer, but what is the average time scale of it?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The first hit is the worst and longest for most parrots, and generally the smaller the parrot, the sooner and shorter puberty is. For large Amazons it starts like 2-3 years and can last 6 months or more. It really is different for each bird. For my Salty , a smaller ( like 1/2 the size of a yellow nape), who is coming up on being 6 yrs old, his first hit of manliness was around 2 years, but was very mild. Now this year, he really is hitting it hard since like January, rubbing his butt on stuff, quivering wings, clucking and has wild mood swings. If your prepped for Albie's change, you'll know why. FiddleJenn made a good point on this; If you are the juveniles 'person' and giving him all he needs food , attention, playtime, toys, love, in other words meeting his every need, and suddenly he has this new need that you are powerless to provide him, he could resent that. Possibly act out on that resentment with bitting and other behavior. I thought that was very insightful. Does it mean the end of your relationship? No, you just need to redefine it. Set new boundaries. Thats kind of where I am at with Salty. Just part of being a parront.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! For a GCC, the average is 18 months for a start! But at 4 months, there will be MANY periods of assertiveness! No different than any two year old human! Your goal is to redirect this energy, without negative discipline! A GCC will die to hold his ground! Or worse, you will break his(her) spirit!
Important to always remember, these periods will pass! Your job is to always step back and reevaluate! Everything! You both can easily fall into negative learned habits!

Your results may vary! These steps haven’t been tested in all states! In the state of California, your results will be lower!

Most Reactions