Can I burn it?

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
Before we start - I am fully aware how harmful scents, chemicals, etc can be for birds. However- how harmful?
I have this candle that I was gifted way before I got my conures and havenā€™t burned it since. I sad that its just getting wasted ā€¦ can I burn it in a separate room from my conures? Or is that too much of a risk?

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
Before we start - I am fully aware how harmful scents, chemicals, etc can be for birds. However- how harmful?
I have this candle that I was gifted way before I got my conures and havenā€™t burned it since. I sad that its just getting wasted ā€¦ can I burn it in a separate room from my conures? Or is that too much of a risk?
If you were to burn them I would do it in a separate room with air circulating out. Have a fan or window open. But procced with caution even with doing this it is not 100% the fumes won't reach your bird. You can dontate candles so they don't go to waste. Some thrift stores accept slightly used candles. Hope that helps :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I wouldn't burn it for a different reason. I once had a scented candle from a VERY reputable brand, and one day the wax caught fire when I'd left the room to go hang some washing outside and was gone for all of 10 minutes. Damned near burned my house down and frightened the life out of me - they're an awful fire hazard and do burn many homes down. Have never touched one ever since!

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
I really just wouldn't risk it. Burning a candle isn't worth risking your bird's health. If you don't want it to go to waste you can always re-gift it to someone else.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I wouldnā€˜t do it now. Many years agoā€¦ when Robin was young, and I lived in an apartment with him as an only pet, I didnā€˜t know, so I used to use teflon pans and burn scented candles with him right there šŸ˜³. My soulmate animal. Many others past and present, there will never be an animal as speical as Robin my male Red Bellied. He will be 30 years old this year.

With everything, itā€™s always good practice to err on the side of caution. šŸ™‚

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
I know they are bad for birds, but I can't convince my family! I do not know what to do, my bird is right in front of the candles!šŸ˜­šŸ˜ 

Most Reactions

Latest posts