can I get some tips pleass

averynkiwi

Dec 20, 2011
florida
Parrots
I have a blue fronted amazon named kiwi. She is years old. I have not had her long and she is my first Amazon.so you get to enjoy this adventure with me
Hello I just obtained an blue fronted Amazon. She is sweet with a small attitude. She is four years old. She kinda let's u handle her but not much. And she is not really eating I'm worried that she Moses her old family that she will starve. She is my first Amazon. How can I get her to trust me?:green:

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
If u have had for about a week or less she will eat but not around u because she is still new give her some time to settle she is probably scared cause she is in a new envirnment and with new people

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Go check out https://companionparrotonline.com/Amazon_Parrots.html

You've bitten off a lot to take on if she's your first parrot! I'm picking up an adopted Amazon tomorrow and he's my first parrot. I've read everything I can get my hands on and I'm still not sure I'm prepared for this! I think I can manage though, I've rehabbed dogs and cats (and a turtle) so I should be able to take on a bird with issues too. I've learned a bit from working with Kazi at the rescue, but I'm no expert.

Don't push her, let her trust you on her own terms. And please! Do lots and lots of reading on Amazons and winning the trust of parrots. Parrots are like no other animal you've ever had. I have learned that in the short time I've been volunteering at a local parrot rescue. They actually remind me a lot more of my turtles than they do my cats or dogs.

Know what you're in for with an Amazon, especially a relatively young one like you have. They can get possessive over a single person and do go through hormonal changes as they age and it can change the way they react and interact around you, but if you're prepared for it you can work around it until it passes. If you're not prepared for it you may be one of the many who give up and either neglect/abuse the parrot or place it with an already over crowded rescue or try to sell it because you can't handle it or don't want to bother working through any issues. Don't be that person, be better! Our rescue is full of hormonal Amazons from people who didn't know what they were getting into. That's what happened to Kazi, the one I'm picking up tomorrow, his owner got him, had no idea what she was doing and either couldn't or didn't learn to relate to and communicate with Kazi. So she locked him in a cage for 5 years with no toys or attention and he began plucking and picking at himself. He's also terribly shy and in need of some serious work. Because of her ignorance or unwillingness to do right by Kazi he suffered horribly for 5 years before he came to us a few months ago. He's a delight and so smart and personable. What a tragedy he was treated like a decoration or trash. She was going to take him to the vet to have him euthanized because she was sick of 'dealing' with him. Thankfully the director of the rescue got word of this and saved him. Please don't be that person.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
May i suggest you read though some of the post here. If you have questions please ask and we'll be glad to help. Otherwise i'd have too write a book to answer your question.I've been dealing with amazons for my whole life and learn new things every day. They want someone to trust but you need to earn their trust in the process. Because they are such longlived birds thing move slow. Little baby steps and small gains will someday turn into the greatest companion you could imagine.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
On the food question, are you using the same food her previous owner was feeding her? I was advised to wait a month before trying to change my new zon's diet. So I used the food the po gave me, then had to go figure out at the pet store which one it was and get some more. I now have him eating some pellets and will move more quickly now to all pellets. But, I did wait about a month to begin making major changes.

Most Reactions